Please sign in to post.

Travel Insurance

We are looking to purchase travel insurance for the first time in the event we have to cancel our trip BEFORE we leave for Europe. Can anyone give me the name of a reputable insurance company.

Posted by
23296 posts

Go to Insuremytrip.com for comparison of polices. AND read the fine print very carefully. All policies are not the same. If you think you might have to cancel before that reason is included because not all situations are covered for canceling.

Posted by
705 posts

Access America recently reimbursed both my wife and I when I was unable to travel for a medical reason. Sure, we had to jump through their hoops, but we got our money back! We've also used Travel Guard and have investigated policies/premiums at insuremytrip.com. Hope you have a good trip and don't have to cancel.

Posted by
1288 posts

I have bought (and filed a claim) with CSA travel insurance. 100% satisfied. (and in my opinion,you don't know how good the insurance is until you have to file a claim)

Posted by
10236 posts

I filed a claim with Access America and had no problem being reimbursed. I purchased a policy with TravelGuard for my next trip. I go to insuremytrip.com and pick the policy that works the best for my needs at the best price.

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks to all of you. Your information will be very helpful.

Posted by
4407 posts

Another thumbs-up for Access America. If you haven't already purchased airline tickets, some airlines allow you to purchase insurance at the same time as your tickets...I've gotten the same coverage at a better price that way.

Posted by
768 posts

Does travel insurance actually work? My one attempt at travel insurance was a disaster. Not only did my wife and I loose the cost of the trip (a pricey Mediterranean Cruise), but also the cost of the travel insurance. Thank Heaven for AMEX, they had pity on us and credited our account for a percentage of the cost. The fine print was lethal. Soooo, Pat, read the fine print very carefully, and if you have an attorney in the family have her/him read it too.

Posted by
120 posts

Go to squaremouth.com where you can check out and compare numerous companies and coverages.

Posted by
2 posts

I've used Travel Insured Intl. a couple of time mainly because they included job loss coverage with their policies. So if I lost my job before the trip, I could cancel for a refund. Fortunately, I haven't lost my job - (not lately!) - so didn't have to useit, but I was glad to have the backup just in case. The other thing is they cover pre-existing medical conditions and when I checked some other companies don't. Hope this helps. Good luck!