Please sign in to post.

Travel Insurance

We are going to Europe in June 2011 and have a AA air flight costing about $3200.00 and wonder if we should pay for trip insurance. The one available on the AA ticket is over $300 so we want to know how to connect with other options that are trustworthy. We think just flight insurance may be the answer but medical is included in the $300 offer. What do you suggest?

Posted by
9363 posts

Check out lots of insurance options at www.insuremytrip.com. There you can compare policies with varieties of coverage. I always buy extra med evac insurance for myself even though my employer's policy covers my medical abroad. When I travel with my uninsured son I buy medical coverage for him. When I took a package tour to China, I bought trip cancellation insurance. Policies vary as far as what they will cover, but you can find something that will cover just what you need without things that you don't. As far as trip cancellation insurance, you only need it for costs that would be lost if the trip is cancelled. Your airline tickets could be changed, so all you might lose there is the change fee, not the entire cost.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you for the information. I greatly appreciate the response and fast reply. Pat

Posted by
10241 posts

I would never travel outside of the U.S. without getting the medical coverage. Unless your own medical will cover you of course, but that would be unusual. I also want to make sure that if something happens I don't have to worry about additional costs to get home. In addition, I want to be covered for any other costs that are non- refundable. I also use insuremytrip.com to compare policies. Pat, we have a group of Rick Steves helpline people who meet every 3rd Saturday of the month. We all have a passion for travel and have a lot of fun talking about it. Someone will post a reminder, usually about one week before. If you would like any further information about the meetings, or whatever else, please feel free to PM me.

Posted by
4407 posts

Pat, I will say that the AA offer with Access America is (in MY experience) the best price out there...even compared to the Access America site, and many of us 'Helpline people' are happy with them (have needed, and received, reimbursement from them - including at least 2 of the 3 posters on THIS thread!). You're paying that much because of the price of your tickets, the length of your travel, and your ages (whatever they may be...). DO check out insuremytrip.com, though - you may find something you're more comfortable with. The medical/evacuation coverage is a great incentive to go with Access America, though...They are a very highly regarded company in the travel industry. **OH - And I second the invitation to the Sacto Area get-togethers! The reminders are on the "General Europe" section of the Helpline, or as Andrea said just send her a PM.

Posted by
2 posts

Pat - I've recently bought an airline ticket plan from Travel Insured Intl. and got a better quote, I believe, than what you were offered. You go for their airline ticket plan and then add the optional medical protection option to get $50K coverage for $25 per person. I think you'd come out ahead. You can go to their site at www.travelinsured.com and click their price quote box to find out. Takes a second, worth a try. John