Please sign in to post.

Travel in March/April 2013, where should I go for 1 week in Europe?

Hi! My husband and I are in our late 20s and looking for a week getaway to Europe. Nothing too pricey. We just came back from 2 weeks in Paris, Rome and Florence in October. It was our first trip to Europe and we are dying to go back! We are very active and out going, so walking everywhere is always a plus! We are looking for somewhere to go in mid March or April in 2013 for one week. We were thinking of either Barcelona/ Madrid, Switzerland, Prague, or Amsterdam. We would like to stay somewhere for 1 week and perhaps do one or 2 day trips via train during our stay. We plan on going to England for my sister's wedding events in November, so we are saving England for then. Any suggestions? Please help! Thank you for your time!

Posted by
15193 posts

Considering that March/early April might be still a little chilly in Northern Europe and also you may want a break from the Chicago winter weather, I'd go in the warmer latitudes of the Mediterranean. But of course great cities like Vienna or Prague or Budapest are great all year around. The choices are endless. You've already had a taste of Italy in October, so maybe you may want to check the Iberian peninsula out. Or Greece. Or Turkey. Or if you loved Italy, maybe you want more of it and visit the South. One week is kind of short, so you absolutely want to concentrate in a small region, maybe just a city or two in the same area. These are some ideas for a week in March in the Med: Spain: Andalusia (Sevilla, Granada, Pueblos Blancos) Spain: Catalunya (Barcelona/Zaragoza area) Portugal: Lisbon+Porto or Faro Greece: Athens, maybe a quick visit to the Peloponneso Sicily: Palermo, Syracuse, Taormina and others (If you push it you can do a good portion of the island in week)
South Italy/Naples area: Naples, Amalfi, Pompeii, Capri Once you decide on the city/region. Go to the section of this Traveler's Helpline that deals with that area and you can receive more detailed advice from the resident experts for that region. I contribute mostly in the Italian section, but occasionally venture to help people elsewhere. I've lived in Europe for almost 30 years and crossed the Atlantic over 60 times, so it's time for me to share the info with the younger generations. Happy travels.

Posted by
15 posts

Great Roberto! Thanks for the input! I will look into those places! Last time we traveled to Europe we used a website called European Destinations. Would you suggest we use a travel agent? Or even just a website like Expedia? I thought where we booked originally was good, especially since it was our first time booking a trip to Europe, but I also wanted to explore my options. Also, Out of all the places you listed, what would be your top two choices? Thanks again!

Posted by
15193 posts

You've been to Europe only once and you've seen Rome, Florence, Paris. You are traveling at the end of March (cooler, generally cheaper, but Easter falls at the end of March next year, so reserve early). You are going to London next year (although not at the best time). Based on the above and since I like warm (that's why I moved from Italy to California). I'd opt for the Iberian Peninsula (Spain or Portugal, can't do both in a week). Greece has good weather too, but I'd rather go at a time where I could visit the islands and enjoy the beaches (i.e. after May). Istanbul area would be good too, huge, but good for a week. In Spain, Barcelona is great, but a week is too long for just Barcelona (3 or 4 full days on the ground will do, imo) and there isn't much very close to Barcelona that I would recommend as a must. Madrid+Toledo+Segovia maybe Salamanca is a choice (I like Toledo a lot). Lisbon+Porto is good too. Andalusia however would be my first choice. Seville is to die for, and Granada is too. For flights look into Kayak.com. It's a search engine of search engines. I'll give you the airport codes of the most important airports you should look into (depending on where you choose you go): BCN-Barcelona MAD-Madrid LIS-Lisbon SVQ-Seville ATH-Athens
IST-Istanbul Convenience of flights could be a factor too in your choice, since your time is limited. None of the above probably has direct non stop flights from ORD in Winter.

Posted by
12040 posts

Outside of the Alps and northern Scandinavia, northern Europe is rather mild at that time of year, especially compared to Chicago. It would actually be an ideal time to visit the Netherlands because that's when the tulips are in bloom. However, not the best time to visit Switzerland because it starts to fall in the shoulder period between the skiing and hiking seasons.

Posted by
4049 posts

Consider Budapest. You get Parisian-style boulevard cafes at half the price, a rich if often troubled history, cheap classical music performances, and a very scenic setting on the Danube. Some nightlife club action, too, although I'm too old and my hearing is too damaged. Weather anywhere in Europe at that time, at least away from the Mediterranean, will be chancy; that's life.

Posted by
8680 posts

Turkey. Plan it on your own like the majority of the posters on this helpline.
Search Kayak for best airfares. Read up on Turkey, especially Istanbul. Search this helpline for accommodations and "must sees." Fabulously intriguing country to visit. Very old and very modern and yes, it is part of Europe.

Posted by
8154 posts

When time is of importance, I like to travel relatively short distances in a straight line. Munich-Salzburg-Vienna would be my favorite straight line trip for someone in their 20's. Lively, fun, classy. I've also had great times in Amsterdam. Needless to say they're fun loving people. You can stay in a city 10-20 miles out of Amsterdam and take a train into the city center quickly. With everyone speaking great English, it's an easy country to make memorable friendships. Switzerland is a little quiet for my tastes and much of it's top scenery looks like Austria's Alps. Prague & Vienna would be a good fit, as would Prague and Budapest. Check out Vienna's K&T Boardinghouse website for links to great, cheap accommodations in Prague and Budapest. Have fun while you're young enough to have it. I started traveling Europe while in college @ University of Innsbruck.