Please sign in to post.

Travel in July 2022

Any suggestions on purchasing airfare for July? In the past, I have found great fares in December and January, but I know everything is much different than pre-Covid. We just got back from a trip to Italy this past month. It was fantastic.
Our tentative plans for 2022 are flying into Amsterdam, train to Paris and travel south to Italy. We need to be in Verona on July 11th.
Anyone else traveling in July 2022? What will your plans look like this coming summer?
Planning is still half the fun!

Posted by
8439 posts

spello09, airfares are totally unpredictable these days. The days of dependable regular sale events went away long before COVID. The best you can do is keep watching your preferred flights, and grab a good fare when it comes up. But many people are hedging their bets and not committing until they have a clearer picture of the pandemic situation for the summer.

IMO, not only are the fares hard to predict, but the likelihood of cancellations, reschedules, itinerary changes etc., increases as the situation remains unresolved, and the further out you are.

Posted by
99 posts

We booked a few months ago on AA. Booked it with points so we aren't worried if we need to cancel. Went this year in June and July and had no problems. Next year we are leaving Jun 15 until Aug 1. Only going to Poland and Germany so I am not concerned. We live close to Chicago so getting out of here is pretty easily. I don't see air fares that awful bad. No one can predict tomorrow let alone next summer. Get your shots. Book your hotels thru booking.com or something like them, buy refundable air tickets and go for it. If you need to cancel, then cancel. 30,000 people have booked trips with Rick Steves. They may be a bit worried but hey they went for it why not you or anyone else.

Posted by
1603 posts

I have purchased airline tickets for myself and my husband to go to Greece this May. I purchased travel insurance that does cover Covid. I booked our hotels through booking.com. But we have to cancel one of the hotels a month in advance (free cancellation) and another one 2 weeks in advance (free cancellation). If it's within the month or 2 weeks, we lose the full amount. We can cancel the other 2 hotels the day before. So my travel insurance is for the airline tickets and 2 hotels. My husband and I also each have an elderly parent in his/her 90's and they could in all reality pass away the day before we leave or while we are away. So considering Covid and our 2 elderly parents, anything could go wrong. But at our ages, 71 and 74, we can't wait for people to die before we travel again. I don't mean to sound cold-hearted, but that is reality. So I say you should book your reservations, make sure as many as possible are refundable, and buy good insurance, and hope for the best. Think positive!

Posted by
336 posts

We are heading to France in early July 2022. I signed up for "Scott's Cheap Flights", I think it was $25 for the year (not a plug, just telling you what I did after some suggestions from other travelers). They just had some good deals show up through May 2022. So I am hoping after January 1 some summer deals start to appear.