Please sign in to post.

travel hair dryer

I need to buy a travel hairdryer. Does anyone have a brand/model that you would recommend? I am looking for as small and light as possible but still with power. Thanks!

Posted by
528 posts

I bought a small travel hair dryer from The Sharper Image. It has a dual control, so I can use it either here or when I travel to Europe. They still have it, it is priced at $29.99 on their website.
Brookstone also has a travel dryer Priced at $40.00. Most hotels will have hair dryers available. I really can't remember the last time I took mine.

Posted by
2367 posts

Honestly can't remember a hotel or B&B we stayed in that did not have hair dryer so we don't ever take one.

Posted by
956 posts

This subject is discussed frequently: http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/helpline/index.cfm?topic=69163 http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/helpline/index.cfm/rurl/topic/70944/hair-dryers.html If you use the link at the top of the General Europe threads entitled "FAQ's: Answers to Frequently Asked Questions", you can find even more links than that as it's been discussed a LOT!
I gave my advice in the second link... I don't feel like re-typing my answer! ;)

Posted by
32212 posts

Vanessa, You might check www.magellans.com as they have a good selection of various "travel appliances", including Hairdryers.

Posted by
1806 posts

Conair Ion Shine 1875 Compact Styler. On Amazon for about $20, although they probably sell it at just about any store that carries Conair (Target, Walmart). Light & handle folds to make it fit easily into carry on bag, works great on Euro voltage w/ just an adapter plug to fit the outlet, multiple heat & airflow settings. Dries my long, thick hair very fast - way better than the junk typically mounted on the wall of a hotel bathroom.

Posted by
646 posts

I would check with your b&b or hotel (wherever you are staying) to see if a hair dryer is available. Most places do have them. We've rented apartments in Italy and London. They too supplied hair dryers. So I would check before I went out and bought one. Target does have dual voltage, light weight hair dryers if you need one.

Posted by
42 posts

I, too, have no luck with the weak hair dryers mounted on the hotel walls. Thanks for all of the great suggestions!

Posted by
2091 posts

On most trips I prefer to take my own rather than deal with the weak hotel dryers. My current dryer is an Andis purchased from Magellans. FYI: over the years several of my hair dryers would only go on low in Europe but the Andis has a higher heat on low when used on 220v. Our daughter and I like it so much, it's all we use even at home.

Posted by
873 posts

I used the Andis 33805 Micro Turbo 1600W Dual Voltage Hair Dryer (I copypasted the Amazon description there), and it worked out great. It's now my at-home back-up if anything happens to my regular hair dryer. Only $13.99 on Amazon.

Posted by
705 posts

My wife has used a hair dryer on several trips to Europe. The brand is Austin House and it has a switch to change voltage. It still needs a plug adapter, of course. It was purchased at a travel store in Edmonds, WA, the home base of RS ETBD.

Posted by
1203 posts

Instead of buying a blowdryer here, why don't you buy a blowdryer in Europe. I bought my blow dryer in Italy and now use it when I go to other countries. I used it when I went to France. You can use it all over Europe but not in the UK or Ireland as they have different plugs and outlets. Why go crazy trying to find a blow dryer in the USA and have a hassle to get an adapter. Ann

Posted by
956 posts

Ditto, Ann. That's what I try to tell everyone.... No problems with converters and wattage differences... And you can get one for dirt cheap at a drug store or department store.

Posted by
873 posts

Because it's really not hard to find a travel hair dryer and a plug adaptor? And you can use the hairdryer stateside if need be? And unless you specifically find a hair dryer in Europe that is also dual-voltage, not to mention the necessary plug adapters, you won't be using it anywhere else? I'm not saying either option is a cardinal sin, but there is nothing about buying a hair dryer in Europe that says "more practical or more convenient" to me.

Posted by
553 posts

I have a Lewis N. Clark travel hairdryer that I like a lot and have used on numerous trips, although I no longer take it along on road trips in the U.S. because hotel dryers work just fine on my short hair. :)
I think it is available on Amazon and on ebay.

Posted by
956 posts

I respectfully disagree, Anna. This subject has been asked quite frequently, and I didn't want to re-type my answer so I'm cutting and pasting from another time that I posted: "it seemed like all the hotels that we are staying at (per their website) do have hairdryers. But I'm very particular about my hair, so I bring my own. (It seems like hotels, no matter where in the world, sometimes have 1000-1500 watt hairdryers which suck for me.) I have a Revlon travel one that's 1800 watts that's dual voltage bought it at Walmart years back for less than 20 bucks. BUT, I learned after getting to Europe that when I used the dryer over there, it didn't seem as powerful as it was here in the states. I am terrible at science, so I'm not sure if the voltage change would also create a change in the wattage, but it took forever for my hair to dry. (And if I'm wrong, I have a feeling someone will correct me!) But I digress... Last time we went to Europe, I spent about 15 Euros at a drug store and just went ahead and bought a travel dryer that was 1800 watts so there would be no wattage problems. We go to Europe every two years, so it was a good investment for me. Now if only Europeans would put outlets in their bathrooms, I would really be able to do my hair like at home!
PS I also bought a European flat iron for the same reason... But if this is your only trip you'll ever take to Europe, my advice may be worthless!!!" Bottom line is this: if you simply need a hairdryer to get your hair from wet to dry, then who really cares what type of hairdryer you have. But I need a really high wattage because I style my hair when I dry it, and if I don't do a good blow-out, my hair looks like crap. Therefore, the wattage is crucial for me. If Vanessa has no plans to go to Europe after this trip, or is only going to go once every ten years, then perhaps it's not good advice.

Posted by
956 posts

"Because it's really not hard to find a travel hair dryer and a plug adaptor? And you can use the hairdryer stateside if need be? And unless you specifically find a hair dryer in Europe that is also dual-voltage, not to mention the necessary plug adapters, you won't be using it anywhere else?" I did not buy the hairdryer in Europe with the intent of using it in the US. "I'm not saying either option is a cardinal sin, but there is nothing about buying a hair dryer in Europe that says "more practical or more convenient" to me."
I am neither practical nor looking for convenience when it comes to my hair. I want my hair to look awesome at all times. So it was worth popping in to a drug store in Ireland and buying one. It wasn't inconvenient since, of course, we were shopping anyway. As I said above, if wattage doesn't matter to you, you can very easily find a dual wattage hair dryer at any store that sells hairdryers here in the US. I cannot recommend a US one because the ones I have brought over there worked, but sucked when converting the wattage.

Posted by
1806 posts

@Amy: I'm with you on needing a powerful hairdryer (my hair is mid back length and really thick) and wanting my hair to look good even when travelling. But I once had a Revlon hairdryer I bought (not to use in Europe) and, frankly, that brand just sucked big time and I tossed it. The dual voltage Conair 1875 travel hair dryer I recommended above is very powerful and has served me well on multiple trips to Europe. It was also the dryer I took with me on a year long round the world trip, so that dryer got a lot of use in foreign countries with just a simple change of an adapter plug to fit into the local outlets. On that same year long trip, I also brought a dual voltage Conair travel flat iron with me which worked fine, too. Adapter plugs cost next to nothing and can be easily found at Amazon, Walmart, Target or just about any travel or sporting goods stores. And it is more useful to have a travel dryer that you can use easily within the United States & Canada as in this economy regular visits to Europe aren't as routine for some.

Posted by
1806 posts

Vanessa, you can see a list of what types of items must go in your ziploc bag at the TSA website. Be sure to keep it on the top of you carry-on before you go to the airport so you can easily pull the bag out for inspection. Mascara, concealor, foundation, lip gloss, cream eyeshadows or blushes, gel or liquid eyeliners, etc. should just go in the bag especially as some of the TSA agents at the airport can get a little overzealous about changing the actual rules on a whim. I've found one of the best ways to avoid having to jam all these things into a tiny baggie was to switch out some of my makeup to mineral powders. Bare Escentuals makes great foundation, concealor, eyeshadows and blushes all from mineral powders and they don't need to be presented for inspection in a ziploc bag. If you have a Sephora or Bare Escentuals store near you, you can stop by and get a pretty generous sample for free to test out and see if you like it.

Posted by
42 posts

I also need a powerful hairdryer. Thanks everyone! Since we are discussing "beauty" issues, would you be able to advise me as to whether or not mascara and concealer in a tube with a wand needs to be packed in the quart plastic bag for security. I haven't flown since these new regulations have been put into effect and I am so nervous about making a mistake. Thanks!

Posted by
4407 posts

Anna said, "I used the Andis 33805 Micro Turbo 1600W Dual Voltage Hair Dryer (I copypasted the Amazon description there), and it worked out great. It's now my at-home back-up if anything happens to my regular hair dryer. Only $13.99 on Amazon." Thanks, Anna! I ordered it based on your reccomendation and I'm very pleased with it. I have very fine, below shoulder-length hair, and it's very thick as in LOTS of it LOL! I also like to blast it half to death, then spend about 60 secs at the end doing actual 'styling' (total time drying/styling = 3-4 mins). It blasts well enough for me, but is less forceful by just moving the nozzle away (also, there's a lower setting, but I haven't bothered with it yet). I'm also looking for a European hair dryer once I get there...for those keeping score! But in the meantime, I'm bringing one of mine that I know will do more than whisper at my hair. Ditto with Ceidleh on the powdered mineral makeup. Most of mine travels in those sturdy plastic zippered pill pockets (think 2"x2" ziplocs). BTW, those bags are great for face creams, perfumed lotions, a slice from 'solid' stain remover sticks, etc. Several fit really well in a 3-1-1- bag 8^D. Great for weight, and TSA. And I agree with her on sticking the 'allowed' items (lipgloss, etc.) in your 3-1-1 bag - in case you get the confrontational agent :^( It might make your life easier...

Posted by
345 posts

I usually take my own hair dryer and use an adapter. I appreciate the names and information about the European air dryers. I have found many of the hotel hair dryers are difficult for me to operate. You have to keep pushing on the button and if you stop, the dryer stops. It is very hard for me to keep a constant pressure on the button due to arthritis in my hand and thumb. I often consider not even taking my hair dryer and just letting my hair dry naturally. But no...vanity reigns!

Posted by
141 posts

Thanks Anna and others for all the advice - and thanks Vanessa for asking the question. I was toying with not bringing a hair dryer, but my hair is medium length, thick and there is lots of it - takes forever for it to dry naturally or with those vacuum hose dryers or dryers that puff air out. I was also toying with a stop in the drugstore once I arrive - but that does not change the fact that it will be in my luggage on the trip home - I wanted to save space but not sacrifice comfort. I just purchased the recommended hair dryer - it appears lighter weight than my conair travel dryer. What a great resources this helpline is!

Posted by
42 posts

Yes, thanks for all of the helpful advice! Happy travels to all. Vanessa

Posted by
4407 posts

FYI - compare prices. Magellan's sells the previously mentioned $13 dryer (Amazon.com) for $27......There's always a markup for these things at speciality stores.