Please sign in to post.

travel clothes

I have been to europe several times. Usually I packed mostly casual style clothes. I will be travelling to Sicily this fall. We have tickets to the opera, and will be dining a a couple of high end places. I dont want to look out of place, or to underdressed. I have seen travel dresses in a couple of catalogs. The LLbean catalog has a longer black travel dress that appears to look easy to dress up. Has anyone seen this dress in person or have any suggestions?

Posted by
16240 posts

Hello Jeane, I don't know that particular dress, but I know the type--black matte jersey or other travel-friendly fabric, empire waist or A-line, usually an option of sleeeve length. I have several similar ones (from J.Jill and Territory Ahead) and think they are great. You can easily dress it up with a scarf, lightweight shrug, cashmere cardigan, etc., and maybe a nice necklace.

Posted by
2030 posts

I too have purchased the black travel dress from Travelsmith. Easy to wear and maintain. They now have lots of colors other than black. I believe Magellan's has them also. Check around and find the perfect one for you. I think with a few accessories and nice shoes, they will look fine.

Posted by
71 posts

I too have the Travelsmith sleeveless dress. It is perfect! I wear a black pashima with it. I wear a scarf with me. Be careful about jewlery, even costume. A streeet person can't tell the difference from a distance. TJMaxx has the pashimas in a variety of colors. I carry it on board the plane with me. Made of finely woven wool it is warmer than the airlines' blankets.

AL

Posted by
11 posts

Jeane,
Ever heard of Chico's? They have great dresses that are easy to dress up. Just add a belt or a scarf. Besides, the Europeans don't dress up for the theater like we do.
Suzie

Posted by
13 posts

Thanks everyone. I did go into Chico's at my local mall, and purchased 2 travel dresses that will be easy to dress up.

Posted by
808 posts

Don't forget, if you'll be wearing a dress and are concerned about chaffing...Invest in a slpit slip or at least layer on the baby powder!

Posted by
3551 posts

Don't forget Lands End catalog. Great quality for a great price.

Posted by
13 posts

Thanks again, I always agonize over packing. More that I worry about being underdressed when going out.