Please sign in to post.

Travel between countries

We are planning a trip and would like to fly to Amsterdam, see Amsterdam, rent a car and then travel to Brugge, Belgium and eventually land in France. I am concerned about traveling through various countries and any or different COVID testing/immunization regulations and how they differ?

Posted by
6616 posts

Due to different rules for different countries, and changing rules, is the reason we’re sticking to a single country per trip, for now. As long as you keep up with each country’s entry requirements and adhere to them, there should be no problems.

Posted by
3 posts

I have read the various rules and it looks like we will stick with one country this trip,

Posted by
1229 posts

Many countries are loosening their covid requirements, making travel between them easier. The real obstacle I see in your plan is the cost of a rental car. Rental cars are very expensive right now (pandemic shortages) and then add to that the additional cost of taking a rental car over country borders (picking up in one country and dropping in another). The Thalys train between AMS and PAR, and all places in between is fast and easy and from it you can get to Brugge.
If price is not an issue , then yes, just check and follow each country's guidelines :)

Posted by
2414 posts

You need to show your CDC card upon entry. There's no entry testing or quarantine anymore as long as you're vaccinated and boosted. If you fly into AMS you're entering the Schengen zone there, so that's where they'll check you.

Posted by
1348 posts

“ I have read the various rules and it looks like we will stick with one country this trip,”

I’m curious to know what rules you’ve read. There currently are no restrictions or rules for travel between The Netherlands, Belgium and France. You can travel freely between these countries.

Posted by
6470 posts

Apart from the cost it is also a very densely populated area with some of the most congested roads in Europe, and with excellent public transport. So for this trip, travelling by train seems like a better idea than renting a car.

Posted by
14049 posts

I’ll just add that I started in Paris on mid-April, came up to Ghent the end of last week and travel pn to Amsterdam the end of this week. As all have indicated there is no problem traveling between these countries.

If you read something to the contrary it may have been advice or regulations from several months ago.

I would do the majority of this trip by train, though.

Posted by
10260 posts

I returned home last night after a 6 week trip to Europe. We flew into Frankfurt and all we had to show was our CDC card before being allowed on the flight. We’re vaccinated and boosted. We went by car with my German family to Belgium for 5 days. Nothing was required. After returning to Germany for a night we traveled to France for over 3 weeks. Nothing was required. We then went to The Netherlands for a week. Nothing was required. We did have to do an antigen test before returning to the U.S. yesterday. It was easy to schedule one online and we had the results an hour or two later.

Depending on what you want to do in France a car may be a hindrance rather than an advantage. In 6 weeks we rented a car twice, for 2 days in Colmar to see the wine villages and for one day while in Montpellier to do a day trip to places not easily seen by train. We used trains, buses and metros to get around. Car rentals are super expensive right now and renting in one country and returning in another adds a large fee. You can easily train from Amsterdam to Bruges and from there to France. If you need a car for something not easily done by train in France just rent for the specific time you need it.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you all for your insight. It appears that I may have had old information. I DO appreciate the advice on the car rentals.