Please sign in to post.

Travel apps

I am looking for recommendations for good travel apps for London and Paris, especially ones that will assist us with using public transportation, walking directions, etc. This will be my first trip overseas and I don't know exactly what will work on my iPhone with wifi only, so apps that work offline would be good too. Don't mind paying a few $s if it's a really good app. Thanks!

Posted by
380 posts

I just used City Maps 2Go on my last trip and really liked it. You download the map before you go, and can add pins for places you want to go so you have a visual marker (ie, "the museum was great, and oh yeah, that one restaurant everyone says is great is right by here, I'll find it...") Once loaded up, it runs offline and tracks your location via GPS so you don't get lost. I think the app is $10 for iOS (but it was free "on sale" a while ago, got it then).

Posted by
12172 posts

Definitely "Next Stop Paris" for metro transportation in Paris. It gives you where, which connection, times and walking maps to get to where you are going.

Posted by
2788 posts

I found the maps on maps.me easier to use and bookmark. Download maps at home, then they're available offline.
Rome2Rio will give distance travel routes, not within town.

Posted by
1377 posts

Google Translate is good one for Paris. It changes text from French to English, has a voice prompt so you can say a statement, "Pardon me, I am looking for the restroom" & it will translate it for you using your smart phones speaker.

Toilets Paris App: Shows toilet locations

London: Bus London App.

And of course, CityMaps2Go

Enjoy your trip.

Posted by
652 posts

Check out CityMapper. I've found it to be the best option for getting around. Simple and easy to use, presents several travel options with good directions. Can preplan trips for use when without data or wifi.

Posted by
9696 posts

CityMapper, CityMapper, CityMapper - although to get the most benefit out of it, you need to have a connection while you're going out and about to get the full advantage (it gives the arrival times of next metros and buses, if there's a delay, etc.).

A great one to use without a Wifi connection is HERE maps. You should download the maps for England and France at home while you have good Wifi, and spend some time creating collections "London" and "Paris", or "London restaurants" and "London museums," whatever makes sense to you, before you go (input your hotel, the museums you know you want to see, etc. ) Then it works with GPS while you're there - no cell connection needed.

I use both of these faithfully in both cities (I live in Paris and travel to London a couple of times a year).

Also be sure to check out Transport for London and RATP, the official sites of the two transport systems. At Transport for London, you can sign up to receive an email notice about the upcoming weekend's planned track works/closures.