Please sign in to post.

Travel and Medical Insurance

My wife, two kids and I are taking a year off from work in the U.S. to travel and live in Europe. I won't be working. We will be staying for extended periods in different places in Europe.

Does anyone have knowledge or experience with how to handle travel and medical insurance during a 10 month trip? Thanks in advance!

Adam

Posted by
7676 posts

I worked for the US Government (Army) in Saudi Arabia and Germany some years ago and had insurance through the Federal Government. I still have the same insurance (Blue Cross/Blue Shield). The insurance is valid overseas. There is more paperwork if you use it, but it does cover you.

Not sure if you will have medical insurance, but you can check to see if it covers you overseas.

Also, consider buying travel insurance to cover yourself. For example, I usually buy trip insurance when I take a cruise with a land tour. Do some research on this option, especially if you don't have medical insurance.

Posted by
449 posts

Hi Adam:

Ten months in Europe? Wow.

I recommend that you seriously consider getting a medical evacuation plan that will transport a seriously ill or injured member of your family to the hospital of your choice in the USA (or in Canada if that is where you reside). An air ambulance trip from Europe can easily cost $100,000. This topic has been discussed at great length on this forum on/around June 26 and June 16 so you can scroll down to find them.

Have a good stay.

Geor(ge)

Posted by
23278 posts

Would like to consider the same thing. Which country are you using for a long stay visa? There are medical policies available in the US to cover so I would work with an insurance broker to find a good policy. Second, you will need that when you apply for the visa.

Posted by
3103 posts

I see Frank's references to a long-stay visa as a gentle reminder it may required.

Posted by
2466 posts

Having general insurance coverage plus a re-patriation benefit is required for any long-term visa in France.
I can recommend MSH International Insurance.