Please sign in to post.

Travel adaptors

Hey guys,
I'm embarking on my very first big travel journey and this whole travel adaptors situation is getting me a little confused.
I bought myself a dual wattage converter kit that comes with all the adapters I could ever need. But reading online I'm not sure if this is the correct item for me.
I will be bringing my iPhone, HP laptop, travel straightener and camera charger with me. Did I get the correct item for this?

Posted by
19117 posts

"A dual wattage converter kit" is vague?

"Converters" are devices that convert voltages from the 230V used in Europe to 115-125V used by US appliance. Some use a transformer, They are limited by the weight of the transformer to about 40W. Others use transistor to chop the voltage. They can handle over 40W, but the wave form can damage electronic power sources. Some converters are a combination of both types with a switch between wattages. Is that what you mean?

Most electronics use dual voltage power supplies that can accept from 110V to 240V. You won't need a converter for them.

Heating devices, like hair straighteners, are usually single voltage (115V). You need a converter with them, but they are usually polarized devices (one blade wider than the other), which depend on polarized receptacle for safety. European receptacles are not polarized, so those safety features are defeated. The only devices that are safe to use in Europe are those that are double insulated (square within a square symbol).

Posted by
19117 posts

The "converter" you bought specifically says do not use with electronic circuitry If your phone, laptop, or camera charger says "Input 120V - 240V" or something similar you don't need the converter nor should you use it; it can damage your chargers or devices.

As for the straightener, forget about it or buy one over there.

Posted by
8889 posts

msara

• If your appliances are already 110-230V, then this is unnecessary, you only need a plug adaptor. You need to look at the labels on your appliances. In this case just use the correct plug adaptor from this kit, and not the voltage converter.
  • The item you purchased is a "voltage converter", it says that in the text. The headline "wattage converter" is wrong, there is no such thing. Whoever wrote the advertising does not understand how electricity works.
  • It says "Do not use with power tools, hair straighteners or electronic circuitry (i.e. computers, fax machines, TVs, VCRs, stereos, battery rechargers, etc.)." What can you use it on then?
  • This item is for 2-pin appliances only. If any of your appliances are 3-pin (have an earth connection), do not use it. Laptop chargers and hair straighteners are typically 3-pin.

P.S., what is a "travel straightener"? Does it help you travel without detours?

Posted by
4 posts

You can't just use the plug adapters, they must be plugged into the converter and your appliance would then plug into the converter.

A travel straightener is just a really small straigtener that comes with a heat resistant bag.

Posted by
4162 posts

I don't understand your last comment msara8623. Everyone has been telling you that if your electical devices are dual voltage, you only need a plug adapter, and that if you use the voltage converter you could ruin whatever you plug into it.

For years my husband and I have been traveling using only plug adapters like the ones for sale here online. They can be bought lots of places, often including Walmart. We have plugged the following devices into European receptacles using them and them only: CPAP machine, iPad, dumb phones, smart phones, Kindle, digital camera battery charger. All those devices have automatic conversion technologies so no switch flipping is needed or even possible. Now we only take the CPAP, iPad and smart phones. He uses all 3. I use my smart phone for everything.

If your travel hair straightener is dual voltage, it will work, too, but you may have to flip a switch from 110 to 220. Personally, I just use the hair dryer supplied by wherever we are staying, or let my hair dry naturally, so I don't have the extra space and weight of a hair appliance in my carry-on luggage.

Posted by
4 posts

Yes, I already understand that I do not need the converter and just need an adapter. All I was saying is that the adapters in the kit cannot be used soley as adaptors. I will need to go buy new ones is all.