Please sign in to post.

Travel

Hi, all!
Which country should visit at first trip?
Tell the name of the country and why)

Posted by
40 posts

Many will say "Italy", and I agree! Spouse & I are going on the HOI 9 in late June; We have not been to Europe since 1980 (10 days, Munich, San Moritz, Innsbruck), and couldn't think of a better country for our second Europe visit!

Posted by
7453 posts

I would agree with Italy, It ranks consistently as one of the top destinations for American visitors to Europe. I think it is a draw primarily because it is "foreign" enough for a first timer, but somewhat comforting from the aspect that we are familiar with Italy through our immigrant culture and food (although some of those impressions are a bit false).

It is fairly compact, you can see many destinations with short trips, has a great array of ancient sites, art up the wazoo, quaint villages and old cities, religious sites if that is important to you, and of course the food and wine.

The Italian people are well versed in hosting visitors, language is only an issue in the more remote areas, and the weather generally cooperates, making your trip pleasant. What more could you ask?

Posted by
13809 posts

What's of interest to you? Museums, churches, gardens, family heritage, food? Where are you from and what is an easy flight for you?

I'd say England because there is not a language barrier (or not much, lol) but if you've no interest in visiting there then you should choose another locale.

France, specifically Paris, would be my next pick but I am enthralled with Paris and love the museums, churches and general scenery there!

I went to Italy "first" when I returned to International travel after being away from it for 25 years. I did a Rick Steves tour which was wonderful because I found Italy a bit confusing and overwhelming. YMMV!!

Posted by
3811 posts

I agree with Pam that the answer probably should be driven by your interests. I took Latin in high school and college, so 3 weeks in Italy was my first planned trip to Europe. BUT... my travel companion and I decided to do a test run of traveling together for 9 days in Austria before we committed to the 3-week trip. Why Austria? I love classical music (as does my travel companion), so we attended a few concerts that were part of the 2014 Salzburg Festival.

Posted by
2599 posts

When in doubt, you can't beat choosing the country of your people. I started with London because I had wanted to visit since I was a small child, and it's such a fabulous city I am heading there again for the 4th time in April. After that I chose heritage countries--Estonia and Hungary. Now I choose places that speak to me, culturally and historically, which seems to be mainly in central Europe.

Posted by
2376 posts

England and/or Ireland. No language problems ( well, not too many 😂😂😂 )

Posted by
6386 posts

If you’re just dipping your feet into travel, maybe visit a country where language isn’t an issue. Right now we also consider which countries have fewer covid restrictions to navigate. Ultimately it depends on your interests. Nobody knows what you like better than you.

Posted by
6431 posts

I'll go with England, mainly for language reasons. Also, without knowing where you live, there's a good chance of easier flights there. But don't drive on the first trip, and always remember to look to your right when crossing a street. If you want something more exotic, take the Eurostar from London to Paris for a few days there (and fly home from Paris).

Posted by
2291 posts

The Netherlands would be a good first country - small, manageable, virtually no language barrier.

My first European country was France (Paris) and I had culture shock for about 20 minutes, then I was thrilled and loved everything the entire time.

Posted by
8572 posts

First and only post.

Taking a poll?

EDIT: 2 days up and no response from OP.

Posted by
14482 posts

It all depends, I know, that's a cop-out answer.

My suggestion generally for the first time visitor to Europe is England and France....Germany too depending.

My very first time was a lucky 12 weeks on a charter flight, so one is locked in to the date and place of departure and likewise for the return.

I spent time in London, the arrival site from Calif. , seven weeks in Germany traveling from the north to the south (Munich), another week in Austria (Vienna). The trip included almost a week in Berlin(West), since it was unthinkable to be in Germany without doing this trip to Berlin.

Posted by
7130 posts

It’s such an individual choice that I wouldn’t want to point to a specific one. But, I highly recommend having your first experience in Europe be with a Rick Steves tour - maybe the Best of Europe one since you’re not leaning any direction now. They will maximize your experience, allow you to relax without all of the planning, and you can focus on wonderful activities and dream of returning!

Posted by
8378 posts

agreeing with Jean. An organized tour takes the planning burden off of you and guarantees an efficient process. If you're not experienced, the cost may seem high, but there is a lot of value to it. The RS Venice, Florence, Rome tour was our first tour experience and was a perfect intro to Italy.

Posted by
8094 posts

A first trip is simple. Fly into London and take in the sights. Then go by Eurostar 2 3/4 hours down to Paris. And fly home from there.

That's enough culture, food, art and history without overdosing you. It'll also get you accustomed to a foreign country and how to navigate the metro/tube systems, etc.

And it's best to travel slowly--and not try to take in too much in a short time.

Posted by
183 posts

the question was "which country". That automatically takes out tours to multiple countries.

I'm going to presume the OP is already a traveller but is posing the question just to have a good conversation.

If the person is timid, nervous and not adventurous then Canada is logical choice just for the ability to read and speak the language. (Frankly, understanding Brits is not always easy.)

If you want to go Europe ... pick Norway. Lower crime.