Please sign in to post.

Transportation

I am in the early stages of planning a trip to UK and France from Vancouver in fall 2020. I have enough points on Air Canada for a one way flight in economy. I am wondering if it might be worthwhile and in the interests of offsetting jet lag, to fly out of Seattle to Gatwick on Norwegian’s “business” class. I would have to factor in the cost of getting to Seattle (ferry and bus, quite reasonable, or a one-way flight). I would have to do a similar journey if I was flying out of Vancouver. From the website Norwegian appear to have 48” of legroom and the seats recline to support the legs. Sounds blissful!

If I booked the whole trip through Air Canada, using points and paying for the remainder, it would cost quite a bit more for Economy, plus cost of choosing preferred seating for each leg to get some extra legroom, but narrower seats due to being bulkhead or exit row seats

Has anyone out there travelled on Norwegian in business? I do know that Norwegian is having some financial issues which may change everything when the time comes to make my booking.

Posted by
492 posts

I did fly Norwegian from Vegas a few years ago, just for the heck of it and to try it out. What you might be seeing listed as "business" class is more like premium economy, really (greater pitch and recline, for instance, but no lie flat seats or anything approaching that). It's a fairly bare-bones experience, and priced accordingly. What it certainly did have going for it, despite the no-frills seat, is it was on a sparkling new 787. I tend to just sleep on longhaul flights, and had no trouble at all doing that on Norwegian - it was comfy enough for me to relax and zonk out. So I can't speak for in-flight service because I slept through it all! I never had the chance to fly with them again, but I would consider them for future travel and was more than content with their premium option.

There are pros and cons with Norwegian.

Big con - They don't have the flexibility or network connections of other major carriers. For instance, were something to happen with your Air Canada flight - a missed connection, weather delay, equipment issue, or the like - Air Canada could tap in to its Star Alliance partner resources, or its own resources, to get you on another flight and where you need to go. I've heard many a horror story of folks missing a connection or having a canceled flight with Norwegian (or other low cost carriers) and essentially ending up stranded.

Big pro - Price, as you've noticed. Fact of the matter is carriers like Norwegian can open up new places to people, at affordable prices. That's something that can't be dismissed, and I know plenty of people who otherwise would not have been able to travel to Europe were it not for the prices offered by Norwegian and similar carriers. When airline miles constantly seem to be dropping in value or harder to redeem, there's something to be said for that.

Posted by
894 posts

Thanks for the feedback. Luckily will be staying with relatives in Uk first so no worries about missed connections...sounds from reviews of Norwegian this is a common occurrence! The two times I’ve been upgraded to first class on Air Canada were a bit of a bust as I slept soundly throughout each flight! Unfortunately it’s way too pricey for my budget this time, hence the idea of trying Norwegian. Even premium economy on AC is way more than Norwegian.

Posted by
4051 posts

Trans-Atlantic flights often cost as much or more one-way than round trip on the established airlines. You want to be sure that your Air Canada points won't be eaten up if you book one-way with them.