Please sign in to post.

transport ?

I'm looking to see Paris, Normandy beaches, Brussels area, Amsterdam area during 15 days not including 2 days of to/from air from NYC area. Looks like air to /from Paris is the most efficient time and least cost. I would rather leave for for home from Amsterdam or Brussels but don't see anything reasonably priced for direct flights.

Also, Normandy area to Belgium would entail either car rental, which I'm ok with, dropping in Lille?, but seemed quite expensive on Rio2Rome. Does it make sense to go bk to Paris for train to Brussels/Amsterdam? My 15 days will be broken up roughly Paris 4 nights, Normandy 2 nights, Belgium 3 nights, Amsterdam 5 nights. Obviously, this configuration will depend on transport strategy and other inputs. Time frame is mid-Sept to beginning of Oct. It looks like for now (?) that travel to and within France, Belgium, and the Netherlands is ok for Americans. TY

Posted by
8525 posts

gritz, are you checking for multi-city (aka open jaw) fares? You do not have to book two one way flights, if thats what you're looking at. Normally you can find multi-city fares ( NYC>CDG; AMS>NYC) that are pretty close to the roundtrip fare to either place. All the airline websites have an option for multi-city itineraries.

Posted by
151 posts

thx Stan, yes I was looking the old fashioned way of one ways and r/t's.

Posted by
2980 posts

And make sure you check cost in the opposite direction i.e., US > AMS; CDG > US.

Posted by
6921 posts

For Normandy, given that you don't have much time I would do it as a round trip from Paris, taking the train and renting a car either in Bayeux or in Caen (more options).
Speaking about time... 4 nights in Paris is really tight, it basically rules out Versailles. I would do 5 in Paris and 4 in Amsterdam rather than the other way around!
And when you say "Belgium", where do you have in mind? For a base for 3 days I would pick Gent, but Brussels or Bruges could work too.