Please sign in to post.

Train Travel In Europe

Hi, my wife and i are planning our first trip to Europe in September. I will be landing in Munich with the plan to spend 3 weeks traveling down to Barcelona. I'm looking at stops in Zurich, Milan, Lyon, Barcelona, or something like that.
My biggest question at this point is concerning trains. Is Eurail the best option? I do not see options for high speed trains when putting together an itinerary with Eurail. For instance, If I am traveling between Lyon and Barcelona How do I find the fastest train? These and many other questions haunt me at the moment. Haha! Good haunts though right?

Posted by
936 posts

check out the website seat61.com === lots of great train info. You can also email the owner of the site and he is great at answering questions and giving suggestions.

Posted by
4879 posts

The best resource to learn the ins and outs of train travel in Europe is the Man in Seat 61 website. With some rail companies requiring separate seat reservations for Eurail passholders, and some even having quotas, Eurail passes aren't the bargain they once were. And the Eurail site is certainly not the best at complete listings for all rail companies.

To get a general idea of trains and routes, look at the Deutsche Bahn website. But to book tickets for any trains not originating or ending in Germany, book with the actual train company running that train.

Posted by
8154 posts

Sorry but your itinerary is a little difficult to follow. I prefer to go in straight lines to cities not so far apart. Zurich might be a disappointment as it's pretty dull and it's not in the Alps.

There are cities closer to Munich that you might thoroughly enjoy. I'm a believer in taking trains city to city that are not that far apart. Get over 4 hours and I'm flying one of the budget European airlines. And it's a long, long way to Barcelona.

Posted by
20142 posts

Hopefully the rail link between Italy and France is back and running in September. It was wiped out in a landslide last August and they think they will have it done sometime around September 9. Nonetheless, i would skip Milan as it is an outlier. Instead of Zurich, go to Luzern, so much nicer and scenic. Then to Lauterbrunnen for the real Alps, then on to Lyon and Barcelona.

Posted by
4 posts

I will give a bit more info.
After landing in Frankfurt I’m renting a car. I will use this car for about a week visiting some childhood homes in the Wiesbaden area. I will then drive to Munich where I will drop off the car and begin traveling by train. I will be visiting my 98 year old uncle in Munich and visiting the city.

Zurich is added to the trip because we have friends there.
After Zurich my plan is to visit northern Italy and southern France. I am not stuck on any specific cities except Barcelona. I know Barcelona is a far distance. My plan is to not be to long on any given train. Maybe max 3-4 hours.