Please sign in to post.

Train travel Berlin to Prague and beyond (August-- 2 weeks 2024

Hi, thanks for reading my post. My husband and I are traveling from Berlin to Prague, then Prague to Vienna, Vienna to Salzburg and then Salzburg to end up in Bern Switzerland (about 2 week trip using all trains).

Is it best to get a Eurail pass (I checked and it's about $347 per person) and you can use it in all places and travel on 5 days (unlimited) on that pass. Or is it better/cheaper to just buy tickets at each stop to go to our next stop?

Yes, have reviewed the site Man in Seat 61 and he says it depends and both are good, so it didn't really tell me what would be better. LOL. I am hoping for a little more guidance and best advice. Thank you!!!

Amy

Posted by
781 posts

I do not know what would be best for you but my general advice would be to price each of the individual train journeys' fares and compare that sum to the price of the rail pass. Personally I have never used a pass. Is price or flexibility important to you?

Posted by
2357 posts

If this is August this year then getting an Eurailpass is probably the best thing. You are doing 4 big trips. www.eurail, and the 1st class pass is not that much more expensive than 2nd class.
In fact, I often buy an Interrail (same thing, but for Europeans) when doing last minute long train trips...

Posted by
551 posts

I am hoping for a little more guidance and best advice.

First, as @Vap points out, how much work do you want to do pre-trip and during your trip? If little, then Eurail. If more, then price compare the pass vs individual tickets. Add flexibility to the mix as the Pass is more flexible than buying a ticket you have to use for a specific time/date. And finally, buy once or four times? So, more specific guidance is tough as we don't know what is most important to you.

As @WengenK suggests, go First Class on these trips if using Eurail. You might find yourself arriving for a train that's packed with weekend hikers or bike riders heading somewhere along the way. These trips are also long enough that you may want to access the First Class dining car. If you decide to go Second Class point-to-point, get seat reservations.

Since your post is relatively new, you may get additional and more specific guidance in the next day or two.

Posted by
7257 posts

If you price these journeys for today-

Berlin to Prague (price on German Railways)-€84.20 (or a further €57.90 for 1st class)
Prague to Vienna (price on Czech Railways) - 1166 CZK or 2349 CZK in 1st class= US$50/101
Vienna to Salzburg (price on Austrian Railways)- €60.80 (or a further €57.80 in 1st class)
Salzburg- Bern (price on Austrian Railways) €146.60 (or a further €120.60 in 1st class)

That is about €295 = US$322 + the czech train= US$372, so Eurail is better value for flexibility

And for say 2 weeks time-
Berlin to Prague -between €29.99 and 49.99 depending on the train (and a €14 to24 upgrade) on specific trains
Prague to Vienna-same price as for today, above
Vienna to Salzburg- €54.90 (or a further 35 in 1st class) on specific trains
Salzburg- Bern- you can find for as low as €49.90 (+ €25 extra for 1st class) on specific trains

So if you commit to specific trains and do the work in booking them then in that case point to point is better value

Posted by
24 posts

Thank you everyone for the replies, really appreciate all the kind feedback! We are actually going next week and will spend a couple days at each stop (3 days in Vienna) and 6 days overall in Switzerland.

It's a bit overwhelming as I've looked @ pricing on both ways Eurorail and individual trains, just really want to ensure we can leave when we want (planning on going from city to city early in the mornings) and make certain we can get on without problems and will have luggage with us as well. Biggest fear is trains being full or having to wait if trains we desire are full and waiting on next train. Prefer to and go nonstop on these trains without having to transfer to another train along each journey if possible.

If it comes down to spending an extra $50 or $100 for one or the other (point to point or Eurorail), we don't mind, just want to be able to go when we want (if we can be guaranteed a reservation) and able to transport our luggage, etc.

Again, thank you for your feedback and any add'l tips you have or prefer for train travel.

Amy

Posted by
7257 posts

If a few $ either way are of secondary importance I would say to book your trains now. Pre-purchased tickets will always come with seat reservations (where applicable). I fall in the camp of The Man in Seat 61 that either method is good, but if I have to be on one side of the fence or the other then for you that is how I jump.

Berlin to Prague- you have the choice of-
0615 arrive 1027
0716 arrive 1124
0916 arrive 1324

On any of the above if you went for Eurail you would also have to make a seat reservation for 5.20 Euro each here- https://int.bahn.de/en/offers/seat-reservation

Prague to Vienna-
0615 arrive 1021
0644 arrive 1049
0844 arrive 1249

The latter two are not compulsory reservations, so with Eurail you could choose to just get on, but you make a reservation on the Czech website for 78CZK each (US$3.37)- choose reservation only in the buying process then select your seats off a plan

Vienna to Salzburg- so many trains that is a free choice, no compulsory reservations, but if you wanted to with Eurail see https://www.oebb.at/en/reiseplanung-services/vor-ihrer-reise/reservierung-sitzplatz for 3Euro each

Salzburg to Bern- You will have to change once, at Zurich
0556 Zurich 1120/1132 Bern a 1228
0756 Zurich 1320/1332 Bern a 1428
and every two hours.
The Swiss domestic trains have no reserved seats, and if you miss your connection at Zurich just join the next one. To reserve a seat from Salzburg to Zurich, if you wanted to then do so with OeBB per Vienna to Salzburg as above.