Please sign in to post.

train tickets vs rail pass

Here is my itinerary. I am trying to figure out which is best, a global pass or just tickets

1. Paris to Bern
    Lydia high speed in upper deck

2. Bern to Murten then on to Lugano

3. Lugano to Milan MXP airport

I think I have figured the point to point to be about $246
The four day global pass is $250 (I am going with a friend and that is the combined price of an adult ticket and a senior ticket, then divided by 2)

So, with tickets, don't you get reservations?
So, with a pass I can take every where for four days but it doesn't included seats.

What am I missing?

Posted by
20085 posts

You will need a seat reservation for the Paris-Basel TGVwith a Eurail Pass. You don't need seat reservations in Switzerland.
I am unsure about the Arcobaleno Transfrontaleria train from Lugano to Malpensa. The Eurail pass is not valid on the Malpensa Express from Milan to Malpensa, so you should check with Eurail. Whatever, it is only a 23.40 CHF ticket.

Posted by
6893 posts

Bern to Lugano is almost definitely cheaper with a Saver Day Pass than with a normal ticket. Available (from SBB) 60 days before your travel date, costs 52 francs on weekdays or 70 on weekends if I remember correctly. Provides unlimited travel that day, within Switzerland.

And Paris to Bern requires an expensive reservation if you have the Eurail pass (€25 if I am not mistaken), whereas tickets include seat reservations.

So I'd opt for a normal ticket for Paris to Bern, Saver Day Pass for Bern to Lugano, and normal ticket again for Lugano to MXP.

Posted by
42 posts

That’s very good information. Thank you. So if I have a saver pass and I want to go from burn to Italy using part of my saver pass, what happens when I get to the Italian border? Thinking of going to Lake Como(verrena). How does that work? Looks like it’s a five hour train ride from Bern to Verena through Milan. Help appreciated.

Posted by
20085 posts

The most straight forward way from Bern to Varenna is to take the EC train to Milano Centrale then change to the regional train to Varenna-Esino. The EC train requires a seat reservation from Domodossola to Milano Centrale.

From Varenna-Esino to Malpensa, you will have to purchase the Malpensa Express train to the airport from Milano Centrale, which is 13 EUR.

PS You do know that you can edit your posts and correct spelling errors.

Posted by
6893 posts

If you're going to Varenna on Lake Como and not to Lugano, forget what I said about the saver day pass. You can buy discounted tickets from Bern to Milan on the Trenitalia (Italian railways) website for around 40€ in advance, sometimes a bit more or a bit less.