Please sign in to post.

Train tickets

I’m confused and need help. I’m flying to Zurich, August 2 and next day plan to take train to Frankfurt for tour until August 14 and returning to Zurich, then to Liechtenstein, to France, Chamonix, Courmayeur, and Annecy, then back to Switzerland, and leave for home on Aug 25. I want to get a train pass but don’t know which one to get. At first I was going to get Swiss pass, then read about EU rail, Bahn, Intercity (ICE)? Think I got it right. I’d need it only to travel to Frankfurt and Frankfurt back to Switzerland. I think I would need a pass for 7 or 8 days? Oops! Maybe 10 because forgot to count to and from Frankfurt. Anyone can help me to get best pass? Forgot to mention I’m senior. Thank you. 😊

Posted by
6880 posts

With your trip plan, the only part where you might need a pass is for your days in Switzerland (including Liechtenstein...where I hope you do not plan to spend the night because there is very little).

Count the number of days that you will be in Switzerland excluding the arrival day and travel days to and from Frankfurt. Then look at the available Swiss Travel Pass durations: the Flex passes are valid for a certain number of days (you choose) within a 30-day period and that's what you need because your stay in Switzerland is not continuous. The Pass is not necessarily the cheapest option but it will be very convenient there.

For Zürich - Frankfurt - Zürich, just buy point-to-point tickets. You should do so in advance on the Deutsche Bank (www.bahn.com/en) website.

For travel between the Swiss border, Chamonix, Annecy, and back to Switzerland, just buy tickets on the day of travel. Consider the bus between Chamonix and Annecy, it is quicker.

Posted by
20023 posts

If you have not bought the airline tickets yet, why not fly to Frankfurt and save the time and expense of flying to Zurich and immediately taking a train to Frankfurt?

It is not clear if you are departing for Zurich on August 2 or arriving in Zurich on August 2. Flights depart the US and fly over night and land in Europe the following day.

Liechtenstein is a giant nothing-burger, but far be it from me to crush a dream. You could spend a night in Vaduz, then the next day get to Chamonix using the Glacier Express as part of the journey. Bus to Sargans, train to Chur, Glacier Express to Brig, train to Martigny, train to Vallorcine, train to Chamonix- Mont Blanc. The Glacier Express does require a seat reservation fee over and above any kind of pass.

I assume you will go from Chamonix to Courmayeur with the Skyway Cable Car. No pass will cover that, and reservations are required.

Chamonix to Annecy is by French TER trains or bus. Not expensive. Same for Annecy to Geneva. Then train for Geneva to Zurich.

Right now, you can purchase nonrefundable, nonchangeable tickets between Zurich and Frankfurt for 65 CHF each way. These are cheap enough that a Swiss Travel Pass does not help lower the price.

If you want a Eurail Pass, I only count 5 days you actually need it per your current itinerary.
Zurich-Frankfurt
Frankfurt-Zurich
Zurich-Vaduz (local bus extra)
Vaduz-Chamonix (local bus extra), (Glacier Express reservation fee extra)
Annecy-Zurich, buy the Chamonix-Annecy out of pocket, 19.20 EUR off-peak Sr, 25.60 EUR peak
You can get a 5-day Eurail Flex Sr for $275.50 2nd class, $366 1st class. Since a pass costs you in the neighborhood of $50/day, any cheap local tickets should be paid out of pocket.

Posted by
56 posts

Leaving US Aug 1 arrive Zurich Aug 2 train to Germany Aug 3. I am confused about the names of the train station under the airport in Zurich and Frankfurt. There’s about 4 or 5 different train stops in Frankfurt and none of them says airport or departure gates. I have to meet tour guide in departure area and if anyone knows the name of that station, I would appreciate. Return to Zurich Aug 14. Aug 15 to Liechtenstein so I can scratch that country off my map and also get my passport stamped. I think I’ll go from Zurich to Geneva by train, then bus to Chamonix. That is less confusing for me and less transfers. Then I’ll just do Augille du midi, ( I like the idea of going on 3 cable cars to Courmayeur, but just thinking of that trip kind of scares me) then take bus to Courmayeur for the day and back to Chamonix, bus to Annecy for couple days, Geneva for 3 days, and on my way back to Zurich, stop off at Gruyère and the candy factory and back to Zurich on 24 and leave for Seattle the 25. So any type of pass would not save $$. I read that Geneva gives hotel guest transportation pass for as long as you’re in Geneva.

Open for comments and suggestions and thank you for taking your time for comments.

Posted by
20023 posts

German word for airport is Flughafen, as in Zurich Flughafen.
Frankfurt Flughafen has 2 train stations, Fernbahnhof for long distance trains and Regionalbahnhof for local trains. Depending on what type of train you arrive on will determine which station. If you arrive on an ICE train from Zurich HB (Haupbahnhof, Main station), you will have to change trains at Mannheim to Frankfurt Flughafen and arrive at the Frankfurt (Main) Flughafen Fernbahnhof. Frankfurt is a big airport. Better find out at what departure area EXACTLY your guide will meet you.

There is no train station in Lichtenstein (except maybe a small commuter station near Feldkirch, Austria). You will need to get a local bus from Sargans station to Vaduz Post. I guess you can get your passport stamped at the tourist office for a fee. It is totally unofficial. You will only get 2 official passport stamps, one when you arrive at Zurich airport, and another when you depart from Zurich airport.

Posted by
6335 posts

There is no train station in Lichtenstein

Actually there are three, that are served by regional trains between Feldkirch (Austria) and Buchs (Switzerland). None in Vaduz though, the closest one is Schaan-Vaduz, ca 3 km outside Vaduz.

Posted by
56 posts

Yes I’m aware no train station in Liechtenstein and thank you. I just texted tour agency as asked which stop to get off and exactly where do I go to meet rest of tour group. Thank you. I may have to need help again from all. Appreciate.