Please sign in to post.

Train Pass

I am definitely purchasing a train pass for my upcoming trip in September with my daughter and granddaughter, but is there any advantage (pricewise) to purchasing it this far in advance? I am still deciding on just how many days I want on the Select Saver Pass. I know I just missed the promotion for a free added day if purchased by April 29th. I wasn't given the go-ahead to book things until a couple of days after that, so missed out.

Posted by
5407 posts

Just curious why you have chosen a pass over point to point tickets?

To answer your question, I am sure the seller of the pass can help answer.

Posted by
16894 posts

The pass prices are subject to change at any time due to euro/dollar exchange rates, so if you can predict the money markets, then you're golden. Otherwise, there's no need to buy the pass early. Wait until you're sure of what you want, and so you can keep any eye out for possible (but unpredictable) further specials. Specials are more common for fall than summer, but you never know.

I recall from previous threads that your trip is around Germany, Austria, and Switzerland, where the pass offers the advantage of hopping on various trains without advance booking. It also covers Swiss lake boats on the same, counted travel days, and gives some lift and private-train discounts in Switzerland without using a counted travel day. If you get it for 3 countries, you must pay the 1st class rate, but if you get it for only 2 countries, then 2nd class options are available at any age.

Posted by
20254 posts

I still think you should meet up with Lee at Panera bread this Saturday before you get carried away. I think he can make everything clear in about a half hour.

Posted by
14580 posts

Hi,

If your daughter is under 26, then consider the Pass. There seems to be more promos recently. I got my Pass before the end of Dec 2015 for travel starting next week, got the promo of an extra day, which means 11 days for the price of ten, which was better at the time than presently, since 1/1/2016 the German Rail (DB) prices went up If they go up, which has been occurring bit by bit every Dec/Jan for the last 5-6 years I've been monitoring them, esp ICE routes I use, then the Pass price in Euro and $ will go up.

For Americans the price in $ is determined by the ticket from A to B in Euro and what the exchange rate is. When I paid on line for regional pass prior to end of Dec 2015, it was the lowest possible for 11 days, ie. Where do you plan on using the Pass 397 Euro. The same Pass would cost $ 30 more now. Keep in mind that you have six months from the date of your Pass to start your trip by having the Pass activated, then another two months to use up the Pass.

Consider whether the Pass is worth it for you and your style of traveling, as respects to savings and flexibility, which do you value more? Or, conversely, which are you less willing to sacrifice? How long is the trip? Where are you using the Pass?

Posted by
16894 posts

Fred, FYI, as of this year you now have 11 months from the date of purchase to start using most passes. But not many people really need that long of an advance. I don't advise choosing a pass until you have a pretty firm plan, both for value comparisons and because of refund rules.

Posted by
14580 posts

That means almost a year from the date stamped on the Pass, even better..fantastic. Thanks for information. I was planning to take my trip starting end of May/early June, so I calculated that time span when buying the Pass prior to the end of the promo period in Dec 2015 to get that 11 th day before the price in Euro and $ went up. I paid $445, a year ago it was $472, now $475.

Posted by
7209 posts

Don't go shooting yourself in the foot by purchasing a Eurail Pass. Most point to point tickets are VERY affordably priced and already include reservations if needed.

Eurail Passes have just been around so long it's like knee-jerk reaction to automatically purchase one...even when they're over priced and cause you extra work and needless headaches. Think before you push that BUY button.

Posted by
14580 posts

@ Laura...that's true re: the refund rules. The same applies to hotels when if you cancel, only 10% is returned. In 2013 I had a deadly serious family emergency ten days into the trip, had only used half the regional Pass. Luckily the airline didn't charge me a whopping amount, say 500-700 dollars for this emergency flight back to SFO. I was charged less than a parking ticket in SF, didn't bother inquiring for a refund from Eurail for the used portion since I figured it was inapplicable. Looking over my notes over the last few years, I see that price paid for the same regional Pass in Dec 2015 for this trip end May/June 10 days/2 months/2nd plus an extra day is the cheapest ever due all the different factors involved. Changing the policy to 11 months is additional incentive.