Please sign in to post.

Train from Paris to Amsterdam

My son and I will be in Paris at the end of April for 10 days. We plan to take the train to Amsterdam for 2 nights during that time. I see that Thalys has a discounted fare if you book on line. I presume these would be 2nd class tickets. Has anyone booked their train tickets in advance?
What is second class like, and is it tolerable for a 4 hour trip/worth the discount? thanks.
Linda

Posted by
9101 posts

The journey time between Paris and Amsterdam is now down to 3 hours 18 minutes. 2nd class is perfectly fine, about double the space of an airplane seat.

book your tickets asap at http://www.thalys.com

Tell the site you live in and will be purchasing your tickets in France. (You'll still be able to print the tickets out at home)

Posted by
10 posts

Thanks Michael, that's a real help!!
-Linda

Posted by
12040 posts

A would say more comfortable than a second class airplane seat. The seats are a little bigger and not so cramped together.

Posted by
4132 posts

To save yourself time and money, see Amsterdam at the end of your trip and fly directly home from there.

Posted by
1116 posts

Hi Linda, I did this in 07 and remember that the train ride was so comfortable and smooth. I believe I booked ahead online also so this must be the same type of seats which were just fine. Bring one of those ham baguettes from a Paris patisserie and have a nice and cheap meal on board. The scenery isn't amazing so use the time to nap or read. Enjoy!