Please sign in to post.

Touring D Day beaches June 6, 2014

I am planning to visit the D Day beaches on June 6, 2014. My concern is that the average American tourist may not be able to attend various ceremonies/activities without some type of security clearance.
Does anyone know if this could be a problem and or should I reschedule to an earlier/later date.
Thanks.

Posted by
10028 posts

I've never been to the beaches on the D-Day anniversary itself, but I have a feeling you're right to be concerned about access. I think it's going to be pretty near impossible to get around out there if you're not part of some official delegation or accompanying a veteran who's registered as part of the program.

Maybe someone out there knows more/better?

Posted by
4085 posts

The 70th Anniversary will be very crowded. Sadly, there won't be many veterans left for the 75th, so this one is a big deal. Your top problem will be getting a place to stay, even now. What particular concern could an "average American tourist" have about security? There will be public events, open to the public. Any specialized military events restricted to the military, politicians and invited guests will be off limits to the general public no matter what their passport.

Posted by
10515 posts

I would imagine the security check points and traffic will be pretty snarled. To get an idea, you may want to contact some of the regular tour companies housed in Normandy (Overlord Tours, etc.) to see if they are attempting to give tours around that time. If they aren't, or if they are modifying their usual tours, then you know it will be difficult to access certain sites at that time.