Please sign in to post.

Tour books

Does the upcoming tours include the appropriate tour book still? We were all set to leave back in 2020 and was sent book and money belts. So I have those. What I would really like is the tour book as a ebook. I see RS store doesn't sell, but this would be so much cheaper to send me the ebook than another hard copy. Who can I contact?

Posted by
6265 posts

Hi, tgreen. Here is contact information from the website.: We've also used "tour@ricksteves.com" with good results. The folks at RSE are incredibly helpful and patient.

Rick Steves' Europe, Inc.
130 4th Ave N, Edmonds, WA 98020-3114 USA
Tel: 425 771 8303 • Fax: 425 771 0833
Email: rick@ricksteves.com

Posted by
8377 posts

This has come up before, and as I recall there is some issue with RSE not being able to offer e-version due to contracts with Amazon for exclusivity for publishing Kindle (proprietary) versions.

Posted by
5503 posts

My local library has a digital checkout service. Ours is Libby, and I also think Hoopla. I just discovered that the Rick Steves guides are on there. They can be checked out for 21 days and renewed. For France, at least, Libby has multiple copies of them going back to at least 2017. I'm able to use them on my ipad or on my iphone. Right now, I have 2020. I'm guessing that one may not always be able to get the most current but there should be some version always available. I never really rely on any guidebook for hours and prices, I go to the website of the museum, just to have the most current information.

Posted by
759 posts

Just go buy one from Amazon. Problem solved.

Many/most of the RS books are available in an e-format from Amazon via Kindle. Amazon has the rights under their Contract with RS. RS cannot and will not send nor sell you an ebook. Just go buy one from Amazon.

Posted by
15678 posts

Just to note, tgreen, that even the most current RS ebook can't cover changes to what may be required for entry to the attractions you might be interested in. If this is what you want an ebook for, you need to go to the websites for those attractions themselves to see what is required.

Posted by
1662 posts

Hi.

I believe your intention was good - trying to save on duplicity and money for the company.

As mentioned, you can purchase an e-book through Amazon Kindle.

From Amazon: "Our ebooks can be read on thousands of different brands and models of phones, tablets and computers but, if you want to read on a Kindle device, you will need to buy ebooks from Amazon."

Here is the latest version. (Jan. 19, 2021)

https://www.amazon.com $18.99

Click on the book image for a "peek inside" to see if you're going to like it.

Rick Steves Travel Guide (1 book series) Kindle Edition
Rick Steves Travel Guide
by Rick Steves (Author)

From Book 1:

From the Mediterranean to the Alps, from fine art to fine pasta, experience Italy with Rick Steves! Inside Rick Steves Italy you'll find:

Comprehensive coverage for planning a multi-week trip to Italy.

Rick's strategic advice on how to get the most out of your time and money, with rankings of his must-see favorites.

Top sights and hidden gems, from the Colosseum and Michelangelo's David to corner trattorias and that perfect scoop of gelato.

How to connect with local culture:

Walk in Caesar's footsteps through the ruins of the Forum, discover the relaxed rhythms of sunny Cinque Terre, or chat with fans about the latest soccer match (calcio, to locals)

Beat the crowds, skip the lines, and avoid tourist traps with Rick's candid, humorous insight.

The best places to eat, sleep, and experience la dolce far niente
Self-guided walking tours of lively neighborhoods and museums.

Vital trip-planning tools, like how to link destinations, build your itinerary, and get from place to place.

Detailed maps, including a fold-out map for exploring on the go.

Useful resources including a packing list, Italian phrase book, historical overview, and recommended reading.

Over 1,000 bible-thin pages include everything worth seeing without weighing you down.

Coverage of Venice, Padua, the Dolomites, Lake Country, Milan, the Italian Riviera, Florence, Pisa, Lucca, Hill Towns of Central Italy, Siena, Tuscany, Rome, Naples, Pompeii, Capri, the Amalfi Coast, and much more.

Make the most of every day and every dollar with Rick Steves Italy.

Of course, if you receive another book and belt, you could slice out pages, organize by your trip itinerary, and toss if you like as you move on.

Posted by
5503 posts

When we went on the Rome tour, we really had no need for two Rome books. I called the office and they were willing to sub in an Italy book. Likewise, we are looking at a Sicily tour in the near future. We already have a book and plan to ask for something we don't have.