Please sign in to post.

tips for planning 2 week (10-14 day) trip to Sweden, Finland & St. Petersburg

I am planning a 2-week trip with my grown daughter to Scandinavia/Baltic Sea area in June 2016 - thinking of starting in Stockholm, taking ferry to Turku - then train to Helsinki - and train to St. Petersburg. How much time to spend in each place? Any place a must-see that I haven't mentioned? And any cost-saving tips? I realize a visa will be required for St. Petersburg - any tips about that? I notice that there is a way to get around the visa requirement by taking a cruise ship, but is that the way to go?

Posted by
4140 posts

Ten days for Stockholm - Turku - Helsinki - St Petersburg is a bit harried for my tastes ( especially considering the time spent transferring between locations ) , Fourteen days would be better , but it's still rushed . There are multiple detailed answers to all your questions , so , for now I'll address the last one - The Visa free requirement limits you to 72 hours ashore under the wing of a licensed tour . A Visa allows you to see a lot more , and does not tie you to a leash . The deciding factor for St Petersburg is whether or not you will find 72 hours adequate . I spent nearly three weeks in St Petersburg this past fall , and for me , it wasn't nearly enough . Getting the Visa was rather simple , in spite of the conventional view about this . If you do decide on the Visa , let me know , and I'll be happy to provide the details