My husband and I are planning our first European trip for this June. After researching cities in Europe that we wanted to see and that would fit our budget, we settled on Prague and Vienna. We have about 5 days in each city, not including travel time. We are very excited about both...however, a recent conversation with a family member has us raising some questions about Prague. We take his advice with a grain of salt, because he has a very different personality (and travel style) from us. Still, it left me wondering if we had been "taken in" by tourist magazines. We don't know anyone else who has been to Prague, so we have no other personal reference to go on.
Of course, I know you all don't know us either - here's a little bit about us:
- We are musicians - I lean toward classical, my husband toward jazz (another reason we thought Vienna and Prague would be good - we've heard there's a solid jazz scene in Prague, but can any musicians verify if it is a "real" jazz scene or a "tourist" jazz scene? We are from Chicago, which is supposed to be "home of the blues," but it's hard to find any real blues music here anymore. Is it like that in Prague, or does the city attract truly talented and innovative musicians?)
- We prefer city vacations and like to "get lost." We enjoy the touristy sites, too, but our favorite moments are usually those where we wander off and find somewhere not in the guidebook. We stay in apartments over hotels.
- I'm a vegetarian. My husband is not. Exploring local food is a highlight of our trips, but we usually try to prepare some of our own food as well. We like to find options that suit us both.
- We prefer walking and public transportation to driving/cabs or flying.
- We like to travel cheap. We'll spend where we need to spend, but neither of us is having fun if we know we're overpaying.
- We're young (under 30), but we're not "clubbers." We'd rather have a beer at a relaxing pub than dance the night away at an underground disco.
I know this is a long post, but it really boils down to this: Is Prague a cool place to visit?
Thanks for reading and for any advice you can offer!