Please sign in to post.

Thoughts on my Europe Christmas/NYE 2015 Itinerary?

Ok, so I think I may have nailed down a rough itinerary for my trip in Europe from December 23rd - January 1st. Please let me know if this sounds reasonable/doable/like a good plan:

• 12/23 Arrival in Munich. Overnight in Munich after seeing some of the town
  • 12/24 (Xmas Eve) Head to Mittenwald. Overnight in Mittenwald
  • 12/25 (Xmas Day) Day trip to Neuschwanstein (just hiking around, not going in, I know it's closed on Xmas). 2nd night in Mittenwald.
  • 12/26 Depart for Salzburg. Overnight in Salzburg.
  • 12/27 (My Birthday) 2nd night in Salzburg with a day trip to Salzkammergut region (st. wolfgang, hallstatt, etc.)
  • 12/28 Depart for Vienna. Overnight in Vienna.
  • 12/29 Second night in Vienna
  • 12/30 Depart for Prague. Overnight in Prague
  • 12/31 (NYE) Prague celebrations. Overnight in Prague
  • 1/1 Depart prague to the airport/back home :(

Does this seem like an itinerary I could pull off without renting a car? I know travel between the major cities could be done via rail, but what about Mittenwald to Fussen? Would I need a car for that or take public transport (that would be on xmas day.) Last summer I did Switzerland and spent 2 days in each city I visited which felt like sufficient time in each town (except for the lauterbrunnen valley which could have used an extra day, quite frankly.), so I've alotted for 2 days in each location here as well. Thoughts, suggestions, or ideas?

Posted by
17915 posts

You realize that the world is closed from noon on the 24th through the 26th of December. Sure, good restaurants and the bath houses in Budapest are open, but you aren't going to Budapest and you can only spend so much time in a restaurant before they throw you out.

Posted by
17 posts

Yes, I was planning on staying in a self serving cottage from xmas eve to the 26th and stocking up on food and drink to make that time period easier, and mostly focusing on hiking/being outdoors during that time frame.