Please sign in to post.

The Grand Tour 2023 suggestions for cities?

I am taking my adult children to Europe. They have only been to a couple of cities before, when much younger. I have been to several and Paris and Florence are on the initial list for their history, museums and art. Also on the list is Switzerland for the Alps. Maybe end it on a beach somewhere in the Mediterranean. What other cities we should consider?

Posted by
6113 posts

How long is your trip?

A week for Paris, a day to get to Florence for a 5 night stay, a day to get to Switzerland then 5 nights there then a day to a beach plus say 4 nights there - how much longer do you have?

Rome is an obvious add on.

Posted by
4910 posts

Yes, your length of time, plus time of year are really needed for any meaningful replies.

Posted by
1798 posts

Let's string your trip along your desired route, Paris to Florence via Switzerland. Places to sleep listed, pass-through day visits in ( ). And suggested number of nights, just to understand some ratios.

Paris 3-5, Colmar 2-3, (Strasbourg), Berner Oberland aka Wengen 3-4, (Milan), Cinque Terra Beach Break 2-3, Florence 3-4.

Almost completely along efficient high speed train lines, no dud destinations

I inserted the beach part second to last, so you recharge before your last city.

In case the Cinque Terra is busier and less of a lie around on the sand sort of place than you want, here is a good article on quieter nearby alternatives:

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/alternative-cinque-terre-five-beautiful-and-unspoiled-italian-riviera-villages

Posted by
8417 posts

What a fun trip for you all! I imagine that the amount of time you have overall for this trip is fairly limited by work schedules. What is the total number of days you have available for this trip?