Please sign in to post.

The Denmark 180 day Schengen stay

I’ve read about the Denmark 180 day Schengen rule in several places but wonder if anyone has used it?

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189512-i216-k9114311-Denmark_and_Schengen_for_Stays_over_90_Days-Denmark.html

A person should be able to exit Kastrup airport directly to the UK or North America without being flagged a Schengen overstay after this itinerary:

30 days France
30 days Italy
30 days Spain
30 days Norway
15 days Iceland
15 days Finland
30 days Sweden
15 days Denmark

Posted by
20249 posts

Don't think I would rely on a 2 year old Trip Advisor thread.

Posted by
16386 posts

Nor would I.

However, I found what appears to be an official policy statement on the "My Denmark" immigration website. Scroll down to page 14-15.

https://www.nyidanmark.dk/NR/rdonlyres/661EB9C1-74E3-4FFA-BF18-721DD5635A73/0/overview_travel_documents_17102017.pdf

It appears that this policy is specific to Denmark, although the 90-day clock starts running from the date of entry into the Nordic zone. It does not entitle you to spend a month in Sweden, another in Norway, etc.

You should contact the Danish consulate in the US for more specific information.

Posted by
4548 posts

Good work Lola, there are posts on Flyertalk and other places about it so I was sure there was something to this. Be nice to know if anyone has successfully executed an itinerary like I posted above, or even a simple 2 week stay in Denmark after 90 days in other Schengen countries? I recognize that the person is technically in overstay status while in the other Nordic countries but that "sin" vanishes once a person crosses into Danish territory apparently. (Overstaying would be a problem if a sudden illness or emergency made returning home immediately essential, or being arrested, or some other rare occurrence, but it would not come up normally since the Schengen system is more complex and not self-contained to a simple "leave to enter for 180 days" or "stay of 90 days permitted" stamp in the passport).