Please sign in to post.

Tap water

I am going to Paris, Beaune, Lauterbrunnen Valley, Venice, Tuscanny and Rome next spring. I dont want to buy water bottles daily and I generally drink a lot of water. Firstly, is tap water safe to drink in these areas, and have anyone used the Brita filtering water bottle? Something different? Thanks!!

Posted by
9369 posts

Tap water is just fine. I wouldn't bother taking a special bottle. Just buy one when you get there and reuse it when it's empty.

Posted by
301 posts

There are those who would advise against re-using thin plastic water bottles, but I'm no expert on it. Anyone else?

Posted by
32321 posts

Charity,

The water should be perfectly safe in all the places you mentioned (at least in my experience). I typically use the same water bottle for the entire trip, and just refill from the tap. If you ever go to Greece, in some places there buying bottled water is a good idea.

On the topic of "safety" of reusing the thin plastic water bottles, THIS is one opinion on the subject and THIS is another.

Happy travels!

Posted by
2081 posts

@ Dorothy,

There are those who would advise against re-using thin plastic water bottles, but I'm no expert on it. Anyone else?

from what i remember reading/see about things like this was that if used for extended periods (whats that?) then bacteria could grow in/around the mouth piece.

If i didnt have a bottle, i would refill it a few time and then toss and start over. To me id rather spend a few more bucks than get sick on a really expensive trip but thats just me and how i think.

of course your mileage may vary,

Happy trails.

Posted by
9369 posts

Bacteria can grow on expensive filter bottles, too - and they are meant to be used over and over. You presumably wash dishes that you use over and over, so why assume you wouldn't wash out a bottle before reuse? It would seem, too, that the nozzle of a filter bottle or sports bottle would be more difficult to clean than a bottle that you are reusing from bottled water.

Posted by
15768 posts

Italian water is excellent. Take advantage of the public fountains everywhere to fill your bottles with the icy cold water. Unfortunately in restaurants, they don't like to give you tap water. If you ask for it, it is often at room temperature.

Posted by
2788 posts

To add to Ken's mention of Greece, we were told by our RS guide on a Turkey tour to buy bottled water.

Posted by
9369 posts

Well, the OP isn't going to Greece or Turkey, so she should be fine with tap water.

Posted by
11507 posts

Tap water in western europeon countries is fine.. perfectly drinkable.. the stuff in Paris tastes pretty good too. I have never used a filter. In Oaris its perfectly acceptable to ask for tap water at cafe/restaurant( as long as you order food) its free and good.. you ask for "un carafe d'eau "( pronouced" carafe d'oh" )you do not need to buy water..

In Italy I find they try and get you to buy water more often..