Please sign in to post.

Switzerland in September 2021- with or without Varenna ?? Need train route help!

You all were incredibly helpful this past March when I began visualizing this trip. We are two vaccinated, active seniors. We have 13 nites on the ground [not including flying.] We must spend the last night in Zurich because of a 7:00am flight. I am not booking anything that is not changeable. I have been to Switzerland and Lake Como before- need more of both!
So I am asking for additional input, as I'm "stuck".

My original plan A itinerary included going to Varenna on Lake Como, with the Bernina Express train trip. My current concern regards the possibility that crossing the Swiss-Italian border may be too complicated with whatever covid requirements could be in place. If we do the Bernina Express, and don't go to Varenna, we probably need to stay a night in the St.Moritz/Pontressina area, before getting back on a long train ride to BO? I need a plan B.

The "musts":
Lucerne
Bernina Express
Berner Oberland [BO]

Which direction works best as we circle Switzerland- to Lucerne >Berner Oberland , or Lucerne to Lugano>Bernina Express> BO? [I've been to Lugano, and don't feel the need to return.]

If we don't spend nites in Varenna, will probably spend time in Lausanne/Montreux area. Looks like we will have one long train day getting west to east, or the reverse. Will probably enjoy the relaxing.

I know I'm missing the obvious, and appreciate all input!

Posted by
4613 posts

Ken and Nigel, I'm rereading your input from March, 2021. Thanks so much!

Posted by
4613 posts

Also, we will follow the Bernina Express route on the regular trains, which gives us more flexibility .

Posted by
967 posts

We did the Bernina Express south from Chur to Varenna with an overnight break at the wonderful Romantik Hotel Muottas Muragl between Samedan and Pontresina (recommended by the Man in Seat 61.) Two about four hour train days is much more enjoyable for me than one long haul.

Posted by
4324 posts

I don't know if this would "ruin" your trip or help it, but the internet is chock full of videos of the Bernina Express, some feel as if they're almost in real time. You can pick seasons as well.

Posted by
4613 posts

After I viewed "Mighty Trains: The Bernina Express" by the Smithsonian Channel I was determined to ride this route. The history behind building the Express- in the early 1900's- is quite interesting, along with the maintenance required.
Safe travels to all!

Posted by
4613 posts

I just noticed that in RS Switzerland Tour, he has eliminated Engelberg/Mt Titlis, and added an Appenzell stop. If we can't go to Lake Como in the HOPEFUL September 2021 trip, maybe we spend in Appenzell.
Any input is appreciated. Thanks

Posted by
6773 posts

Another vote for Romantik Hotel Muottas Muragl if it is open at the time of your visit (it is not open year-round): it is unique (especially if you splurge for a valley-view room), the food is excellent, there are some nice walks up there, and it is convenient for the Bernina Railway.
I had the pleasure of spending three nights there in January 2020 (for tobogganing and winter hiking) and I know that I will be back someday.