Please sign in to post.

Switzerland

I am travelling to Murren Switzerland in September 2013 I would like to know if the cable cars and trains run on Sundays would anyone out there be able to tell me and also
are the prices for the cable cars in Switzerland and trains

Posted by
9101 posts

Trains and cable cars run seven days a week. There is typically no reduction of service on the weekends. For schedules and fares checkout the Swiss Rail site: rail.ch Also click the railpasses tab on top of this screen to see your options on Swiss on the various transportation passes. They can save you a lot of money.

Posted by
32219 posts

Pamela, As Michael indicated, transportation in Switzerland runs seven days a week. The website he mentioned should provide all the information you need on prices. Are you aware of the details on the travel route to Mürren? It's a bit unusual compared to other locations in Europe. Cheers!

Posted by
38 posts

Ken: What details are you talking about on the travel route to Murren?

Posted by
4140 posts

Hello Pamela , I just hit this thread and thought I would jump in for a moment . I don't want to second guess Ken , and I'm sure he will respond with the excellent advice he always provides , so I'll make a quick comment which might explain his point about the details in getting to Murren . When you exit the train in Lauterbrunnen , you walk to the right up to the main road . In front of you there is the lift station " Bergbahn Lauterbrunnen Murren " This is the lift that flies you up to Grutschalp which connects directly to the train that takes you fifteen minutes to Murren . Miss the last lift ( about 8:30 PM ) and you will be in an awkward position . It's a two part trip. On our last night in the oberland we ran into a couple looking for the way up ,they had just missed the last lift , so you need to plan carefully . trains to and from Interlaken - Ost and Lauterbrunnen run late ( about midnight ) but trains and lifts on the sides of the valley ( Murren , Wengen et al ) ,not as late . I'll drop out now , I'm sure Ken will check in , his advice is always helpful .

Posted by
4140 posts

One other point , relative to Michael's comment about the railpasses . Last year , they offered a 2 for 1 special on the Swiss pass , it was a great deal ! Since you are not going till September , you have plenty of time to see if this offer repeats . Don't rush , keep an eye out !

Posted by
32219 posts

Pamela, Steven covered much of the information I was going to mention. There are two routes you can use to reach Mürren, but that's the easiest one. To reiterate.... To get to Mürren, you'll first have to get to Interlaken Ost (there are two stations in Interlaken). From there you'll transfer to the small Berner Oberland train for the 20 minute ride to Lauterbrunnen. When you arrive in Lauterbrunnen, you'll see the Cable Car terminal which is right across the street from the rail station. Go into the terminal and walk up the stairs to the departure level. The Cable Car will take you to Grütschalp (about 10-15 minutes), where you'll transfer to the small BLM mountain railway, which runs to Mürren (about 15-20 minutes as I recall). The arrival platform in Mürren is on the bottom level of the station, so you'll need to go upstairs to reach street level. The rail station in Mürren is at one end of town. The Stechelberg - Gimmelwald - Schilthorn Cable Car terminal is at the opposite end of town. Depending on which hotel you're staying at, you may have a short walk. It's mostly level, so it won't be a difficult walk. While there you may want to take the short ride in the Allmend-Hubel Funicular, and then hike down through alpine meadows with cows grazing (you'll hear the melody of the bells around their necks as you're walking). As I recall, facing downhill the trail takes off to the right. It's a very pleasant walk and there are a couple of small hotels and Pubs along the way so you can stop for a "cool one" if you want. Depending on which part of the month you're there, you might ask when the Farmers are bringing the cows down from the meadows, as it's quite a performance. Lauterbrunnen provides a good vantage point to watch that. Happy travels!

Posted by
32219 posts

Pamela, Another point to mention..... Where are you going to be prior to your visit to Mürren? It will save time if you buy your ticket to Mürren at your point of departure (provided that's in Switzerland), as it will cover all modes of transport (rail, Cable Car, etc.). That will save you buying a ticket for the Lauterbrunnen - Grütschalp Cable Car and the BLM train. One final but important point - Swiss rail authorities have apparently started to adopt the same practices as used in Italy, fining passengers who don't have valid tickets. You may find it interesting to read THIS ARTICLE. I had no problems when I was there in September, but I always used valid tickets paid for in cash. One of the people in the article was fined as the credit card transaction didn't go through until a few minutes after the train left the station. That seems to be "splitting hairs" and I suspect there will be more than a few court cases as a result of this new Swiss rail policy. Cheers!

Posted by
1915 posts

This is not an answer to your question, but just a suggestion. We have stayed in Gimmelwald (below Murren ) twice, once in September, once in June. On both trips we had fabulous weather, but on both trips there happen to be bad weather as we were leaving. It is very changeable, so if you have some time to devote to the area it will help you hit good weather for at least a portion of your time there. We met a couple who came in for one night and the fog was so bad they couldn't even see the mountains, yet the previous days had been gorgeous. Unfortunately, they had to leave without ever seeing the views! I'd try to give it at least 3 nights or more if you can. It is amazing!

Posted by
38 posts

Thanks for all your help out there I really appreciate the info. We are going in September and leaving from Lausanne. Taking the train to Interlaken. Would that be correct.
Can I purchase these tickets at Interlaken.

Posted by
4140 posts

You can purchase tickets there , but keep in mind that the default prices displayed on SBB.ch are half fare , which are obtainable with the swiss half fare card . Regular price will be double. Again , not meaning to be a scratched record , keep an eye out for a potential fall promotion . As well , once you know how many days and which places you are likely to visit in Switzerland ,the Swiss Pass may be appropriate in any event . The determining factor is where and how many trips ( even local ones ) you might anticipate .