Please sign in to post.

Swiss Army Knife

I am not checking luggage, but want to take a Swiss Army knife on my 3 week trip to Europe. I am doubtful that TSA will allow it in my carry-on, but would like to hear from anyone who has actual knowledge/experience.

Posted by
9369 posts

In general, I agree that a Swiss Army knife would not make it through security. HOWEVER -- in December I took two flights en route to Costa Rica, and two flights back. On all of those flights I passed through security screening. Each and every time, the screener missed the multi-bladed knife that was housed in a little side pocket of my binoculars case. I had, in fact, even forgotten that it was there. My daughter found it while we were on our trip and I planned to put it in my checked luggage on the way back, but forgot. I never would have knowingly carried it onboard, but it made it through anyway.

Posted by
6898 posts

I too carry a small Swiss army knife in my pocket. I've had it for years. I have to be very careful to leave it at home or in my checked luggage before travel. They will take it.

That being said, my wife has carried scissors on planes since 9/11 for her sewing projects that she brings along and they've never confiscated them. The secret is that they are children's scissors with rounded ends. Works just fine on her sewing projects.

Posted by
252 posts

I buy a cheap pocket knife or, preferably, a multi-tool when I get there and give it away before I go home. If you can get a fellow traveler to give you a few bucks for it, all the better. Being the cheapo that I am, it does pain the heart to do it. But, considering how much $$$ we spend on a trip to Europe, throwing away a cheap pocket knife doesn't even register on the budget.

Posted by
345 posts

It doesn't feel so wasteful if you know it's going to a good home. I always leave my usable items like shampoo, packaging tape, paper towels, paring knife etc. neatly for the pensione owner. In the US I also take things to thrift stores, used bookstores, and hostels before returning home.

Posted by
8293 posts

Your knife WILL be confiscated. My husband had lost two this way.

Posted by
156 posts

My husband always carries his knife but there is absolutely no possibility that they will allow it in carry on baggage. He forgot about it one time and fortunately security let him run back to checked baggage and put it in a bag they provided ...but it had to be checked or confiscated.Only solution might be to check your shaving kit although its a pain to wait for baggage.

Posted by
242 posts

We got a wine opener confiscated last week - no way the Swiss Army knife is going to make it through.

Posted by
10344 posts

Once I forgot my Swiss Army knife was still in my carry-on bag and not in checked baggage like I thought. They confiscated it. And what I realized is, the TSA guy was looking at me differently than when I've forgotten that a water bottle is in my carry-on. It made me realize, it's a knife, and technically, it's a violation of law to try to carry a knife on a plane. He was taking a second look at me, a judgment call they make. Maybe no one's been arrested for a Swiss Army knife, but it was a feeling I didn't like, I'd put the power in their hands. I bought another Swiss Army knife but these days I leave it at home.

Posted by
588 posts

Ditto here from Oregon. The TSA guy said I could go back out and fill out a form, pay postage and they would mail it me. Don't even think about it!

Posted by
881 posts

I had my leatherman confiscated. Luckily the nice airport girl found a small box to put it in, and put it under the plane as luggage for me.

I'd just buy one when you get there. Going to Switzerland? ;)

Posted by
187 posts

My son is active duty Air Force and had his knife, which he used on the job, confiscated. He showed his military ID and tried explaining, but there was no explanation, they took it. So I wouldn't try it if I were you.

Posted by
12313 posts

No you can't carry one on. I always buy one when I get on the ground and give it away before I leave (except when I check on the way home).

Corkscrew, bottle opener, screwdrivers, tweezers and scissors are the accessories I look for in addition to a cutting blade (which is actually a pretty basic knife).

I never have any trouble finding one.

Posted by
207 posts

My husband travelled several times with his before it was finally taken away. The people with him always got theirs taken but they never took his, not sure why.