SURGE Protector question!!

I am moving to Darmstadt in a few days, all of the appliances I am bringing are dual voltage and input 100-240v US. I am looking for a surge protector, would a 220V us surge protector work with an adapter? or would I be better off getting a german surge protector with us outlets on it? please help!

Posted by Frank
Tresana, Highlands Ranch, CO, USA
12706 posts

Get the surge protector in Germany. It will have European outlets but you can use US adapters on the protector. I doubt if you can find a 220 surge protector with US outlets. Review the answers to the same question on this page.

Posted by Douglas
Oak Park, Illinois
3180 posts

You cannot use a US voltage surge protector for European voltage. Very nasty results have been reported... Just buy one in Germany.

Posted by Jean
4 posts

ok thanks for the help. what about the surge protector that is in the link i posted previously, would this help?

Posted by Nancy
Bloomington, IL, USA
8339 posts

As previous posters have said, just buy a surge protector in Germany. US surge protectors should never be used in Europe.

Posted by Tom
Lewiston, NY
10505 posts

Just go to a Bauhaus or Media Markt store when you get here. You won't have to look very hard to find them, and they'll have everything you might need.

Posted by Nigel
East Midlands, England
11674 posts

I agree with Tom. I'd Media Markt it and get stuff out of the discount barrel by the door. But, yes, the one you mention probably would work. Note the review that says that US plugs fit loosely. I wouldn't want that. My opinion is that the one you highlight stakes its reputation more on its plug configuration than on its ability as a surge protector. If that's important for you then go for one with the best reputation for surge protection. Has Darmstadt got a bad reputation for poor electric supply? By the way, why the two exclamation marks in your question? And the block caps? We read the questions even if they don't have the decoration, you know.

Posted by Ken
Vernon, Canada
21493 posts

Jean, The Surge Protector Power Bar you showed in your link should work fine as its designed for use on 220 V. electrical systems. However, I have the same concern mentioned by others with regard to poor fitting of North American plugs in the outlets. Buying a Surge Protector there is certainly one option, although if it has multiple outlets you'd need to have a Plug Adapter for each outlet which would be a bit cumbersome. I doubt that you'd be able to find a Surge Protector in Germany that has US outlets. That may be available but I've never seen one. I routinely use electronic products in Europe without a Surge Protector. If you're really concerned about that, I'd use the model in the Magellans catalogue along with a small basic Power Bar (ie: no Surge or Noise protection). If you're leaving in a few days, you may not have time to order those items from Magellans though. Happy travels!