Please sign in to post.

Summer 2023 Flight Prices (from DFW/Texas)

My husband and I are wanting to do an anniversary trip in June or July to Europe. We are considering Amsterdam, Brussels, Paris. So, we could technically fly in/out of either Amsterdam or Paris. However, I am shocked at how high flights are for summer 2023. Around $1600 ONE WAY for just one person (direct flight). This goes for most European cities, not just the ones I've listed above. This seems to be the case for all flights to/from Texas international airports.

I have been to Europe several times and a few times in the summer and have never had to pay this. Is this just what traveling looks like post-COVID while demand is so high? Or will flight prices eventually go down closer to the dates? Unfortunately, my husband is a teacher/coach, so we are only able to travel during the summer months when he's off. Just trying to get an idea on if this trip will actually be possible or not.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Posted by
559 posts

One-way tickets are ridiculously expensive. Try searching for round-trip flights instead. Airfares are very high right now though.

Posted by
4413 posts

Are you checking "multi-city" flights (when not checking round trip)? While flights are higher now, and always higher in summer, that does seem out of the usual.

Posted by
1781 posts

Direct flights from DFW do look quite pricey in general.

Try searching with Skyscanner.com. it allows you to search an entire month at once, and/or an entire country. So for instance searching USA to Paris (or all of France) direct entire month of July is possible. You can find the cheapest/best transatlantic flights, and then figure out If it's feasible to get to the departure city.

Also it never hurts to include London/the UK in your search. If you can get to London for cheap there's a variety of ways then to get to the continent, flight, train, ferry ride. Occasionally people swim it ;)

Posted by
2743 posts

Is there a reason you're looking at one-way flights? Look at either round trip or multi-city (aka open jaw). Which airlines are you looking at? Do not book through a consolidator.

Posted by
4113 posts

I fly from or through DFW also.

1. Yes, summer prices are high.
  2. Is there some reason you are pricing one way tickets? Since you have a schedule, you probably mean to be looking at round trip. I am finding that one ways (I have different parameters than you, so I have checked) are almost the same price as a round trip or multi-city booking.
  3. Others will have different opinions, but I don’t think you can look for prices to go down.
  4. I just did a random test on Google Flights for 2 weeks June 6-20, multi-city DFW to Paris and return Amsterdam to DFW for $1550 round trip - non stop AA flights. It probably doesn’t include checked bags or seat assignment and may be non refundable (I didn’t go that far). Seeing $1450 for round trip Paris. I know it may feel high but it’s half what you said.

Try using Google flight and check from DFW to Europe, with your dates. Or choose a particular destination and set a watch. Google will email you with a price change, both up and down.

Posted by
1781 posts

Above post has strong information. A greater point might be use the more robust modern search engines to be able to search wider areas and longer ranges of time. While flights might be still expensive, you're at least going to be able to find your best balance between price and convenience

Posted by
16312 posts

You need to book roundtrip or multi-city (“open jaw”), not one-way.

People have been reporting prices around $1600-$1700 for roundtrip fares from DFW.

Posted by
855 posts

By "direct" flights do you mean non stop flights?

And others have posted correctly that you need to price open jaw flights, not one way flights, can do this easily on a site like google flights.