Please sign in to post.

Summer 2017 trip - second draft (modified)

Planning a 24 days trip to Europe next summer (June-July).
I have narrow the choices and number of days.
My adult kids will be with us for the first 10 days and I want them to experience Venice, Florence and Rome.
Are there enough things to do in Venice, Florence and Budapest to fill 2.5 days.
I think my limit on churches, castles and art museums is 2 per city.

US to Munich – fly (train takes too long)
Munich to Venice – fly (3 nights)
Venice to Florence – train (3 nights) - includes day trip to Siena
Florence to Rome – train (4 nights)
Rome to Budapest – fly (3 nights)
Budapest to Vienna – train (4 nights) - includes day trip to Bratislava
Vienna to Cesky Krumlov (down time) – train (2 nights)
(will have to travel to Prague (2 hours) to catch a plane)
Prague to Amsterdam – fly (4 nights)
Amsterdam to US – fly

Posted by
27138 posts

You don't actually have 3 days in Venice, Florence and Budapest because you'll use part or most of a travel day to get there. I certainly don't think you'll run out of things to do in any of them.

Posted by
93 posts

You will need longer in Venice. We were there last summer 2 1/2 days way too short..wish we could have gone to Murano.
Now I want to go back for 4 days on next tour..

Posted by
3601 posts

3 nights in Florence = at most 2.5 days. Not enough, especially since you plan to devote one of them to Siena. Ditto for Vienna. Also, since you don't show any time in Prague, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be just as well to fly to Amsterdam from Vienna. We had a trip to that area this year. I would spend 2 nights in Prague rather than Cesky Krumlov. Better yet, add that time to Vienna and Florence, and leave the Czech Republic for another trip.

Posted by
597 posts

Rosalyn -
I modified the original post. If I saw correctly it takes 3 hours to go to Vienna and only 2 to go to Prague. We were in Prague before and want to see something different.

Posted by
15585 posts

Munich - are you spending time there? If not, are you on a single ticket from US to Venice? If not, are you aware of the pitfalls?

Posted by
7175 posts

Chani, I believe the OP (hi Nestor) has travelled to Munich and Prague previously, and these are just transit stops.
Nestor, others may advise if Bratislava is interesting enough to include in your plans, but I would prefer that time added to Budapest.