Please sign in to post.

Summer 2012 Europe Prices

Hello, I am wondering if anyone has heard that prices for Europe are going to "skyrocket" for the summer of 2012 because of the Olympics in London that summer. Thanks!

Posted by
1986 posts

We were in Germany during the World Cup (2006) and hotel prices seemed to double and were very full; also restaurant. Same thing in South Afric i 2010. So expect hotels and restaurants to be very expensive in Britain during the Olympics (and maybe sometime before and after). Cant see why this would affect continental Europe (except for scalpers)

Posted by
1035 posts

I wonder if it won't decrease demand in the rest of Europe and actually force prices down a bit?

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks for your responses so far. I agree that I find it difficult to imagine that prices all over Europe would increase. I forgot to say that I was asking a travel agent about the Greek Islands in particular when she told me about the projected "skyrocketing" prices for 2012.

Posted by
361 posts

Never make a decision based on fear. While the travel agent may be good at booking travel he or she may have an ulterior motive; landing a sale.

Posted by
32788 posts

What Jerry said - = - is there a chance that she hoped to have access to your money sooner rather than later after she got you worried that prices would not only rise but "skyrocket"? Oh dear ...

Posted by
31 posts

Europe is a big place and the Olympics don't last all that long. I'm fairly sure lots of places will remain unaffected by them. It's not too hard to figure out the best time to go and when to go.

Posted by
689 posts

When planning a trip to the Winter Olympics this past winter, I learned that people avoid Olympic destinations like the plague not just during the events, but the whole year surrounding it. Apparently this happens every time. Tourism at Whistler dropped tremendously the entire winter despite the fact the Games only lasted 2 weeksregular tourists assumed it would be crazy and expensive all year. Whistler/Intrawest Corp. flooded my email inbox with great deals the entire season, except for the games period, because they were so desperate for visitors. Greece may not get desperateit's quite far from London, and I'd hope that most people know thatbut if past patterns hold up, London will see a big decrease in tourism in 2012.

Posted by
32212 posts

Stefanie, It doesn't sound logical that prices in ALL of Europe would "skyrocket" due to the summer Olympics in London. I suspect that prices will increase in London based on "supply and demand", which I believe also happened at the recent Winter Olympics in Vancouver. The Olympics could result in decreased business in other parts of Europe, which usually means prices tend to "soften". If you're planning to travel to the Greek Islands this year, I wouldn't let the Olympics deter you. You might find it helpful to check Matt Barrett's Website for lots of information on travel in the Greek Islands. One of the Greek Travel Agents listed on the site will be able to provide the most accurate information. Happy travels!