Please sign in to post.

Suggestions re Using Blackberry 8830 in Europe under Bell Mobility plan

I plan on taking my Blackberry 8830 to Europe next week - I will be in France, Switzerland, Austria and Italy - and I am on Bell Mobility here in Canada.

I have checked and the cost for long distance to call home from Europe (all four countries) is $1.99/minute (!!!). I only plan on calling home a few times, but I would like to be in contact in case of emergency.

My question is should I buy a SIM card in France to use in each country or just continue calling using the Bell Mobility plan? I'll be away for two weeks.

Posted by
4555 posts

Debbie...the problem is that your 8830 will probably be locked to Bell's system....it won't recognize any other SIM card you put in it. If you're concerned about being contacted in an emergency, then just keep the Bell system. For calls back home, you can purchase long-distance calling cards in tobacco shops (at least in France and Italy) that allow you to call home for cheap.

Posted by
124 posts

I called Bell Mobility and I am set up to send and receive calls at whatever cost that the local provider charger charges, as well as the roaming charge. Therefore, I think that I will use the long-distance calling cards to call home, thanks for your answer.