Please sign in to post.

Suggestions on itinerary

I am planning a 3 week trip for May 2016 for my two college-age daughters and myself. We have narrowed things down considerably since we made our first dream list but I'm concerned we are still trying to cram too much into our time. We will be traveling by train. We have some interest in historical sights but more so want to experience beautiful places together, broaden our world, and create some amazing mom-daughter memories. I would appreciate any thoughts.

Prague - 3 nights
Cesky Krumlov - 1 night
Munich - 4 nights (Dachau and Neuschwanstein Castle area are important to us here)
Switzerland - 1 night at Berggasthaus Aescher, 3 nights in Lauterbrunnen Valley or Murren
Venice - 2 nights
Siena - 1 night
Cinque Terre - 3 nights (we feel strongly about ending the trip here)
Milan - 1 night before flying home

As I look at the map, perhaps it makes more sense to spend those mountain days in Austria or Northern Italy but Switzerland looks so amazing ... Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Posted by
7175 posts

Change the order, travel from Switzerland thru to Milan, and depart from Venice...

Prague - 3 nights
Cesky Krumlov - 1 night
Munich - 4 nights (Dachau and Neuschwanstein Castle area are important to us here)
Switzerland - 1 night at Berggasthaus Aescher, 3 nights in Lauterbrunnen Valley or Murren
Milan - 1 night
Cinque Terre - 3 nights
Siena - 1 night
Venice - 2 nights before flying home

Posted by
1678 posts

It really matters as to where you can fly into and out of easily. Do you want direct flights, non-stop etc. If you want to fly out of Milan, then your plan looks good. Note: Your train trip from Switzerland to Venice will take a while, probably all day. I would definitely do Switzerland. Enjoy.

Posted by
8166 posts

I usually avoid Switzerland when going from Munich to Italy as The Austrian Alps-Tirol is also incredibly beautiful, cheaper and easier to get through. The train takes you thru the Brenner Pass and onto Venice, Florence, etc.

Posted by
124 posts

I was in Cinque Terre last summer and it is amazing to see, definitely worth it, I would just say that it is remote so depending on where you're coming from, it can be a long day getting there, so just keep that in mind. Do see all 5 towns, although similar they each have their own flavour. We stayed in Vernazza and as luck would have it, it truly was also our favourite. Sounds great - I plan on doing something similar with my son and daughter when they are the same age as your girls.