Please sign in to post.

suggestions appreciated! visiting daughter in Italy in March 2022 - options outside of Italy?

My husband and I are going to visit our daughter in March during her spring break while she is studying in Italy. She will be traveling all over Italy with her program, so we thought we would explore another country with her when we come see her. We will likely only have a week or 10 days. We will meet her in Venice and wrap up our trip in Tuscany when we drop her off at her school.

We would love any and all suggestions on an itinerary and great places to visit in MID MARCH.

THANK YOU!

Posted by
585 posts

How about heading south to slightly warmer weather. I’d think about Crete, Sicily or Malta. All are really interesting with. Great history, interesting cities ans towns and beaches.

Posted by
560 posts

When my daughter studied abroad in Prague, we did a trip together to Vienna and then I went on to Venice by train. This was also in mid-March. So perhaps consider Venice to Vienna. Central Europe is quite different from Italy, and the train ride was through some terrific scenery.

Posted by
678 posts

I would choose to go to nearby Croatia. From Venice head to Trieste and then head south down the Adriatic coast of Croatia. Very beautiful.

Posted by
317 posts

I would highly recommend both Slovenia (hiking, outdoors activity) and Croatia (everything). Both are near to northern Italy. In fact I believe there are ferries between Italy and Croatia. Another option for the good life at a slower speed would be Provence/south of France.

Posted by
317 posts

Pat, "great minds think alike." Look at our posts and the times we posted. =)

Posted by
5 posts

Kaye & Pat
My first thought was Croatia! I was looking at some other forums that said things might not be open and comfortable in mid march in Croatia?

Posted by
3049 posts

Second the recommendations for Greece (Crete or Athens and nearby sights in the Peloponnese), Sicily (try telling them they're the same country as Malta!), or Malta. I wouldn't go north, mid-march is basically Winter there. Southern Spain could appeal too. Be aware you may get rain anywhere you go in Europe that time of year except the canaries.

Posted by
678 posts

Kaye and I are both in agreement about Croatia! I went to Croatia in summertime so i have not been there in March but I looked up average March temps and weather in Croatia - cooler in 54-65 degree range and for travel (for me) that is acceptable. I have read that some hotels close for the winter but Split and Dubrovnik should still be active with lots to offer. I thought Croatia was so pretty. I personally would not hesitate to go in March but do your own research to see what is available in the areas you want to visit. Search the forum here and on tripadvisor for first hand experiences in Croatia in March, Here is an alternate suggestion: I love Sicily but since you said you wanted to explore another country I didn’t originally suggest it. I have been to Sicily in late March and we had sunny days but used light jackets. Average temps look similar to Croatia. Sicily has a wide variety of sites to see and great food. Your choices are wide open and I am sure you will enjoy whatever place you choose.

Posted by
317 posts

I was in Croatia in May and it was shorts weather for me. However, I have been to Sicily in March and we mostly wore long sleeves with light jackets. Didn't really have any "shorts weather" in March in Sicily. I suspect southern Croatia would be similar to Sicily. Both places are lovely and you can't go wrong!! If you have specific questions, you can always message me.

Posted by
18054 posts

Unless I missed it, you didnt say where in Italy you would be departing from.

I would suggest, since a longer travel seems to interest you, that you go to GoogleFlights and put in your departure city, then "Europe" then in the filters "non stop" and see what pops up.

You can also filter to less than 2 hours and under $100 and find all the quick cheap discount flights.

They will vary by day of the week so move the date a few times for more options; places you hadn't thought of might pop up.

Right now I have a friend who is staying in Budapest who is visiting Italy for a few days on a $45 / 1.5 hour flight.

Posted by
7688 posts

Many options are available.
However, I would stick to places nearby to minimize wasting time traveling.

Croatia is a wonderful place to visit, however highways are not the best. Split and Dubrovnik are the gems and they are on the coast, we visited them while on a cruise. There is more to Croatia, nearer is Pula, with its Roman ruins.

Switzerland is wonderful, but March might not be the best time to visit that country. Budapest, Hungary is amazing and not as expensive as Vienna and Austria.

Posted by
8166 posts

We were in Croatia and Montenegro in June.

Put my vote in for and Slovenia and Croatia. It's just a short distance from Venice around the top of the Adriatic.

Posted by
11215 posts

Didn't March 2022 happen 7 months ago?

You driving a DeLorean ?

Posted by
27203 posts

According to the weather-summary chart in the Wikipedia entry for Dubrovnik, the average high temperature for March is 57.9 F; the average low is 47.1 F. One would expect half the days to be cooler than that. During the typical March there are 12 rainy days. That's not where I'd head in March, but perhaps you don't need sun as much as I do.

Caveat: Those weather stats are based on the period 1971-2000, so they are significantly out of date at this point. I'd suggest looking at 3 to 5 years' worth of recent day-to-day, historical data on timeanddate.com.

Dubrovnik March 2022

Dubrovnik March 2021

Dubrovnik March 2020

Dubrovnik March 2019

Dubrovnik March 2018 This March was particularly not-great.