Please sign in to post.

spring break dates for 2011

Does anybody know the dates for spring break in Europe. Do they even have a spring break or is there a rush of American tourists during our spring break. We wonder if we need to prebook due to crowds during this time.

Posted by
9369 posts

Europe is made up of many countries, with many, many areas and cities within each. There is no single "spring break" date for the whole continent, just as there is no single spring break date for the whole US. In fact, there is not even a single spring break date in my town, with its two universities, two colleges, five high schools and two districts of middle and grade schools. Perhaps if you tell us where you intend to go someone might be able to help you determine what crowds might be like there on whatever your spring break time is, and whether you might need to prebook whatever you think you might (are you talking about housing? transportation? activities?)

Posted by
12040 posts

Before I moved here, most of my visits to the continent were either in the winter or the spring. During these periods, the only times that I ever experienced anything that felt like a significant crush of tourists were Easter in Prague, Christmas-New Years in Paris, and mid-afternoon at Keukenhof. And it wasn´t just American tourists, it was people from all over.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks Jo and Tom. My husband was worried we would run into crowds of college students, which can happen during spring break periods in the US and Mexico, but it does not appear to be an issue in Europe. Thanks for taking the time to post your advice. I will check out that web site.

Posted by
3635 posts

As has been stated, there is no "Spring Break," in Europe similar to that of the U.S. However, you should be aware that many countries do have a week or two school vacation time, often pegged to the date of Easter. Families, especially those living in cold climates, seize the opportunity to head for the sun. Thus, when we were on the Amalfi Coast in late April one year, the place was crawling with British and German tourists. Also, that same year, during the week prior to Holy Week, Rome was filled with school groups. To my mind it would be wise to prebook if there is any likelihood that where you are going might be attractive to other tourists; i.e, almost anywhere. Anyway, why not prebook?