Please sign in to post.

Spring Break 2025 ideas

I'm thinking about taking my two daughters (will be 18 & 15 at that time) somewhere in Europe during the last week in March. I'm curious if anyone has taken any family trips with teenagers this time of year? I know this isn't the ideal time of year for weather but that's ok. I've been to London, Paris, and Rome but my kids have never been to Europe and would be fine returning to any of these.
Open to any suggestions! Thanks.

Posted by
5717 posts

I took two trips to Europe with young adults kids in the month of January. They were so excited to be in Europe, they would have gone in any weather. Do they speak a language? Some of the places in our itinerary were in German speaking countries, because the kids had German in high school.

March could be quite nice. In general, bigger cites are "more forgiving" in less than wonderful weather because there are indoor activities. Make sure to have layered clothes for warmth and in case of precip.

Both trips were a month. With my boys, we went to Vienna, Budapest, Prague and Munich. They loved them all. With my twin girls at age 20, we went to Catalunya (Barcelona, Montserrate, Girona, Besalu), flew to Vienna, then Salzburg (with day trip to Munich), Luzern, Berner Oberland, Geneva (only for CERN for physics loving daughter) and Paris.

The girls really loved the mix of cities and the varying sizes. Its really hard to say what they liked best, but perhaps, Barcelona, Girona, Salzburg/Munich, Luzern and Paris. So pretty much aeverything.

I found it easy to find rooms for 3 people, but I started a few months in advance.

I've been hearing that many U.S. families and college age kids have been visiting in March during breaks. I think part of that is that it can be a fair amount less expensive to travel in Europe.

You could check "Adventures with Sarah" webpage. In recent years she has taken her teens to Europe in March. Most recently, I think it was Venice.

Posted by
7911 posts

You say one week split the time between the popular hits Amsterdam and Paris or Florence and Venice.

Posted by
4897 posts

Depends on how many full days you have on the ground. You may have enough time to visit London for a few days, then Paris, and return from there. On the other hand, if your flights are such that your time on the ground is limited, then stick to just one city. Remember, your arrival day may be shot due to late arrival, being tired, sleepy, and jet lagged. Also, consider that most of a day will be lost when you relocate from one city to the next. Perhaps most importantly, get the girls involved in the planning. They might have totally different ideas about where to go. The more they are invested, the more enjoyable it will be for everyone. But then, teenage girls are always agreeable, right?

Posted by
4880 posts

How many nights on the ground will you actually have? You probably don't want to spend much time traveling if you have only 8-10 days, you'll want fewer locations. Your timing is good because Easter is late April in 2025.
The end of March will most likely be chilly and rainy, and the gardens in most places won't be in bloom. On a sunny day , it looks like spring, but on a blustery day, with the trees still being bare, will look like winter. Plan on all types of weather in the same week.
Plan for a place that doesn't shut down because of weather, and offers a selection of indoor experiences.
I just returned from NL & Belgium, and noticed that Keukenhof Gardens opens March 20, 2025 ( Pls verify). Would you consider a tulip experience ? And perhaps going to Bruges and enjoy Belgium chocolate?
You are so lucky to have a mother- daughters trip. Cherish and enjoy! Safe travels.

Posted by
317 posts

With only one week, I think I would choose one major city. You lose so much time traveling from place to place. But if you decide on two places, then be sure and do a multi-city flight, like fly into London then out of Paris. Take Eurostar to get from one to the other.

We did London/Paris as our first trip with our teens. It was a lot of fun.

We just got back this weekend from France, Belgium and the Netherlands. We had warm sunny days, and some sleet/rainy freezing temperatures. And this was mid April to early May. There's just no predicting what it will be like in March, except likely cold, but you go when you can go, and plan accordingly.

Enjoy!

Posted by
872 posts

Spring Break can be a great time to travel in Europe because the weather is cooler. Everything is now always crowded anyway and I will take a slightly damp day in the 60's-70's to a hot day in even larger crowds in the summer. We have done Spring Breaks in Rome, Greece, Florence, Switzerland and Spain. Mountains and Northern Europe will be the coolest and wettest in March... so maybe stay south. It can be more complicated if your Spring Break coincides with the Easter Holiday (particularly Iin Rome or Spain) religious services can be a bit overwhelming. Rome was still great this year (and weather in the 60's) and Sevilla leading up to Good Friday several years ago was spectacular with the parades and magical floats. Get them watching Rick's videos and checking out things on the web for them to help identify their top interests and create the itinerary. A Spring Break week is relatively short so focus on one or at most two places to avoid losing time between destinations. Plan to fly open jaw so you fly into destination one and fly home out of destination two. You will have a great time!

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks all for the replies! I'll start getting them involved and watch a few Rick videos together. Is it usually best to book flights and hotels about 6 months out?

Posted by
27223 posts

I'm a big fan of traveling to places where I have good odds of not-bad weather. It's a lot of money to spend if the weather is grim. Therefore, I'd recommend southern Spain as the top option. I spent April 2019 in Andalucia and it was delightful. March would be cooler and perhaps a bit rainier, but I think it would be a good choice.

I spent mid-February to mid-March 2023 in Rome/Naples/Salerno, and that worked pretty well. I found the days in February rather short (something that bothers me but apparently not most other people), and even though I had done a bit of weather research, I hadn't realized the temperature would be under 40F until about noon every day. I definitely appreciated the longer days and earlier warming toward the end of my trip. I think Rome would be a good option for you to consider, but since you've already been there, I'd look first at Seville/Cordoba.

A lot depends on transportation, though. If you really have only a week, you'll want to choose a place you can reach quickly.

Posted by
826 posts

I've been in both Paris and London multiple times in March. As long as schools aren't on break (Easter is late next year - looks like UK and French spring breaks are later), I think you'll be fine - especially if focusing on cities. You can always duck into a museum or store if weather turns lousy.

Depending on how much time you have - you could do London and Paris with the Eurostar as transport between them. Very easy to do, multiple departures, comfortable. Open-jaw air arriving and departing from one or the other cities.

London and Paris in only one week would only be a "taste", but you can walk around and get a sense of each city. If you prefer slower travel, my personal pick with 2 girls would be Paris for a week.

What are their interests? History? Art? Fashion? Museums go-ers or not?

Posted by
229 posts

We took our kids to Europe for the first time during their spring break when they were 14 and 12. So we didn't overwhelm them, we did London for 5 days (eased them in to the European experience but kept the language) then took Eurostar to Paris for the remaining 5 days. They loved it!

Posted by
112 posts

We love to travel during spring break and took our two teens to France (4 nights), Belgium (2 nights), and the Netherlands (2 nights) at the end of March. We had a great time. Just be sure to bring a raincoat! We've also enjoyed trips to the UK for Spring Break. The spring flowers are lovely.