Please sign in to post.

Spain in December?

Hey everyone!

My wife and I are planning a trip to Spain on December 10-19 this year and we’re interested in any thoughts or advice you might have about the trip!

We’ve been to Spain one time before and went to Seville, Cordoba, Granada, and Barcelona. We loved all those places but I think we might prefer to go to new places for this trip. We like small and mid-sized cities, good food, architecture, and in this case Christmas festivities.

We fly into and out of Madrid. I know we want to spend one day in Toledo (I’ve heard it’s worth overnighting there), one day in Segovia (maybe day trip from Madrid), and at least one day in Madrid. We’re not huge museum people, and from what I’ve read I don’t think we’d need as long in Madrid as the average people there, but one day (and night) still might be too brief. I’d be interested in your opinions?

Other than that we don’t have anything concrete. I’ve heard Malaga and Rhonda are great, as well as Valencia. I’d be interested in anyone’s thoughts on those places as well as any other cities or villages you think we should add to the itinerary. I’m still in the planning stages, so I’m open to any and all ideas :)

Thanks in advance for any feedback and advice. It’s much appreciated!

Posted by
7688 posts

Personally, I am not keen on visiting Europe in the Winter. I don't like touring in cold weather when days are short.
However, if you are going to Europe in December, Spain is a good choice.

You have nine days there, minus travel time.

Ok, skip the places you have already visited. Don't miss a day trip to Toledo and another to Segovia.

Rhonda is great, I was not wowed by Malaga. Valencia would be good.

Posted by
6613 posts

I’m not certain how many Christmas festivities you’ll get, but at least decorations should be out. Most of the activities will take place between about the 23rd and January 6th (Three kings day). With the very limited time you’ll have remaining after Segovia, Toledo, and Madrid, consider just staying in that general area so you won’t be spending too much time traveling. You could go to Cáceres or Trujillo, Salamanca, Zamora, León, Burgos, Logroño, or Zaragoza. Closer in towards Madrid is Alcalá de Henares, or even Cuenca. Some place online you should be able to find planned activities for different towns or cities. That might help you decide.

Posted by
2267 posts

I love Madrid, and while it has lots of great museums, I don't understand how people think that's all there is, or that it's barely worth exploring if they 'aren't museum people'.

That said, December in Madrid deserves a huge caveat. The Christmas decorations are pretty. So pretty that people literally come from all over the country. The center gets packed—really packed. Sidewalks, whole streets, the metro, shops, restaurants, bars... packed.