Please sign in to post.

Spain

We are planning a trip to Spain, mostly around Barcelona. We have about one week +/- 1 to 2 days. We need suggestions as to where to go We are interested in local cultures, museums and classical music events, ie operas or symphony etc... Thanks

Posted by
1529 posts

First, congrats on dedicating so much time to a terrific place. Second, encourage you to check out renting an apt as this will increase your flexibility and usually at a lower cost. Third, a great part of your trip will come by adding time to your daily clock. There is so much to do after 10 p.m.! Fourth, montserrat is a great day trip. Five, music? Must see is the Palau and take in a concert!
Safe travels

Posted by
11294 posts

You should look at a guidebook, like Rick Steves Snapshot Barcelona, for details on standard sightseeing suggestions. Then you can come back with more specific questions. However, Girona is one place that I don't think is in the book, and for me, it was the highlight of the area. It's about 90 minutes from Barcelona, so I saw it as a daytrip, but would gladly have stayed overnight. It has everything - except tourists. The Let's Go guide I was using at the time called it "a world class city patiently waiting for the world to notice," and they were 100% right.

Posted by
9363 posts

With only a week, plus a day or two, I don't see how an apartment would give you any flexibility. You would constantly be backtracking to your place, instead of using the time to see other places. Montserrat Monastir, outside of Barcelona, is really interesting and the setting is stunning. And I agree that Girona is worth a visit.

Posted by
32220 posts

Roland, I agree with Harold on the Guidebook suggestion. You could buy either the new Pocket Barcelona ($12.99) or the complete Bareclona Guidebook ($19.99). Either of those will provide you with the information you need to choose sights that most interest you as well as transportation, restaurants and other good information. The Guidebook will be a valuable reference source during the trip and probably the best investment you make for your trip. Happy travels!

Posted by
1178 posts

Two books I recommend....Moon Guide to Spain....
Discovering Spain, Penelope Cass...The "new" edition is 1996, and some of the information may be dated, but the book is an outstanding source of information you will not find elsewhere. More than just the normal tourist book with a listing of buildings and their dates of construction, etc., she give a history of the people in the area. Just purchased it and am really enjoying it. You might consider some of the Dali area...His house at Port Lligat is amazing, inches literally from the sea.....Cap Roig, a marvelous garden set on the sea is well worth a visit. Check its web site. These are out of the city, but a nice drive if you want to get out of the city. Sagrada Familia is a must see in Barcelona -- check its web site and become a member/supporter...some good benefits, one of which is avoiding the entrance que! You can check madridman.com for more information on Barcelona as well. You will enjoy your stay I am sure. I am returning next week for a repeat visit.

Posted by
668 posts

Check out the Concert Hall within walking distance of Placa Catlunya/Ramblas. Take Rick's walking tour of the Ramblas See the Magic Fountains
Walk along the beach at Barcelonetta

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you to ALL for your great suggestions. We have been to Madrid and BArcelona but many years ago. So this trip will be like a "new" adventure all over again. Merci

Posted by
1529 posts

We have found apts provide greater flexibility in terms of choice, locale and amenities (full kitchen, clothes washer, etc). We have also found better pricing, in comparison to hotels, via apts. nothing was meant to be inferred of flexibility being better in terms of how often a person chooses to return to an apt/hotel. However, we have found selecting apts provides a justification to shop at a local market and prepare a home cooked meal.
Safe travels