Please sign in to post.

South of france

My husband and I and our 1 year old daughter are traveling to Europe in may. We will be with family for part of the trip and then want to travel to the South of France for 5 days. I've heard that Provence is beautiful! We want to stay in one place and not do a whole lot of driving. Walking- we have a backpack for the little one, exploring, eating, and wine are all things we love. Recommendations? Hotels? Please help..... Thank you!!

Posted by
537 posts

Avignon is really nice. Lots of really nice towns close to there via car or train.

Posted by
3696 posts

St. Remy... beautiful village in central location (you would probably want a car) with a great market, shopping, restaurants, beautiful places to walk. I have stayed at Les Ateliers de l'Image (beautiful, modern, swimming pool and nice garden area and a bit pricey) or Hotel Van Gogh (older but charming enough, reasonable and a swimming pool) Edit: Both have parking. Hotel Van Gogh is a few blocks further from the central part of town, but still very walkable.

Posted by
4132 posts

If you don't want to do "a whole lot of driving," does that mean that you will have a car? (Which I think you will not regret, but I'm just asking.) If so I'd stay away from Avignon, where the car logistics can get hairy, as a base. Better would be a small city (Arles would be great) or town (St Remy lovely, though not the only such; be sure to get accommodations within walking distance to the actual town part). Do pick a base that is centrally located to the sights you do want to see, to minimize driving.

Posted by
2916 posts

I agree with either Arles or St. Remy. As to Avignon, I'd give it a 1/2 day visit at most, but not a base with a car.