Please sign in to post.

South Africa

We saw a Rick Steve's travel show and part of it talked about taking an overnight train in South Africa and what a great affordable trip and great way to see the countryside. Anyone know anything? Can't find any info. We will be in Eswatini (formally Swaziland) in November visiting family and was hoping to do a side trip by train.

Posted by
6788 posts

I think you may be conflating multiple sources.

Rick definitely sings the praises of taking a night train in Europe, as a tricky way to save the cost of a night at a hotel. At least he did once, some years ago. Many of us have had less rosy experiences on night trains and personally I suspect Rick probably has fond memories of saving a few Lira or Deutschemarks back when he was a young backpacker, but would probably rather sleep in a nice, comfy hotel bed these days.

I've never seen Rick do any videos on travel in sub-saharan Africa. Maybe it was some other TV travel guru?

Note that when taking a night train, you usually don't get to see much of the scenery (it's dark, you're sleeping, or at least trying to...).

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you. You may be right but we usually watch Rick Steve's travel. It is a 26 hour train and we understood a great way to see the countryside. I did get a reply about trains from Johannesburg to Cape Town. It looks interesting and the article states it is safe and enjoyable.

Posted by
451 posts

It is the Blue Train. I have not been on it but have heard it is nice.

Posted by
4140 posts

I do not recall a Rick video on this topic , but this one from the BBC in 1979 has long been a favorite of mine . Written and presented by Michael Wood , this is right up your alley , enjoy it - https://youtu.be/LRwtABg21YA