Please sign in to post.

Solo traveler on Rick Steves tour

Hello,
I am taking the RS Eastern Europe tour in June and am starting to get a bit nervous about traveling as a solo member. I am 40 years old and I have done a fair amount of independent European travel (in college and beyond). Does the tour group usually embrace the solo members? For example, in Budapest, I am interested in checking out the ruin pubs. Would there normally be a group that would do those type of things? Just looking to hear some perspective from tour alumni to ease my nerves. Thanks in advance!

Posted by
5678 posts

Just like you I generally travel solo. But, I decided to try the Berlin, Prague and Vienna Tour a few years ago. It was great. There was a wide range of ages and people. You could join people for some things or wander off on your own. I did both. Sometimes, you would start out on your own only to bump into someone from the tour. I found that while I had some people that I did more things with than others, it would still be mixed depending on interests. The guide, Christoph Dressler, did a great job making suggestions and helping us to get to know each other.

Pam

Posted by
2030 posts

I took a solo RS Paris tour a few years ago when I was around your age. Loved it. The people were great. I don't think you will have any problem fitting in and finding someone to hang out with. On second RS tour I took I was with my sister, and we befriended a couple of younger solo travelers. The tour groups seem to be very nice from my experience. Not sure if there is a group that wants to do your pub visit, but you can ask!

Posted by
2153 posts

Hi Angela, I've traveled solo on 3 RS tours and found the other tour members to be very friendly. Each group is different but in almost every case I found them to be welcoming and eager to have a good time. Mention to the tour leader that you are interested in the pubs and he/she will probably be able to help point you in the right direction. I really enjoyed the RS trips I took and I bet you will too!

Posted by
29 posts

Thank you so much for your replies and reassurance everyone! It is very helpful.

Posted by
153 posts

Angela,
I am going on the Eastern Europe Tour as well, but not in June, would love feedback! As far as solo traveling... last year we (husband and I) went on the Best of Europe Tour and we had solo travelers in our group!. They had a great time, they went on free time with us if they wanted, and did there own thing when they wanted! The whole group enjoyed each others company!!!!! You will have an awesome trip, solo or not!!!!
HAVE A BLAST!!!!! You will be an AMAZING addition to the group!
ENJOY!

Posted by
559 posts

Hi Angela,

I am 43 and I will be taking my fourth RS tour this summer ( I actually wanted to do the Eastern Europe, but the timing didn't work out this year). On each of my tours so far, there have been a mix of couples, families, and singles. One each tour, I've easily found people to join in with and do a variety of activities. I've actually made some friends that I've visited back here in the US after the tour ended. RS tours attract a certain kind of traveler, so it's quite easy to find someone to spend some time with! I wouldn't worry too much!!

I admit that when I book a new tour, I do call the RS office and ask about the mix of ages/solos on a particular tour date. Not that it necessarily would make me do/not do a specific itinerary, but it might make me re-think which date I sign up for (for me it's the mix of ages, rather than the group/single ratio that is one factor in my choice of tours - I like a mix of ages, personally). If you'd like, you can call the office and ask them who is signed up on your tour. They can't tell you specifics, but they can say if there are any other solos and the general mix of ages.

Have fun and enjoy!!!!!

Posted by
2788 posts

I am about to take my 12th RS tour later this month (Greece) and I can not remember any of the previous tours NOT have solo members. I do remember that other tour members have made a concerted effort to make sure that the singles were OFFERED the opportunity to come along when we have done stuff that is done in our free time. I can never remember not being able to do something other than what the tour group is doing if relocating is not involved. My wife and I often skip out of the beer halls and wine tasting events and spend that time sightseeing things that the tour does not visit. Just communicate with your tour guide so that you both know what is going on. I also remember on one tour that a solo member choose to be alone on free time and she was not badgered by others. My wife and I ended up a three-some with a deft fellow on a tour many years ago and we still exchange e-mails and x-mass greetings. Fortunately, I am able to attend a reunion for last years tour group and one of the members homes here in Seattle tomorrow night. RS does put on a BIG reunion gathering in Edmonds, WA (where his headquarters is) for all of the previous years tour members the middle of January. I guess I expected a more backwards places on that Eastern European Tour but was surprised at the progress so many of them are making to move into the 21st Century.

Posted by
1206 posts

I have been on 11 RS tours and went on all but two by myself and they were wonderful tours! Of course it is normal to be nervous. I am always nervous going on the tours alone. Wondering if I will meet other people and will they want to do the same things as I want to do. I am going on the 14 day European tour and am very nervous if there will be nice people to do things with! But you are an independent traveler and if there is no one to go around with in the free time, go with the attitude that you will still enjoy yourself and have fun. It is much better than staying at home. You will have missed out on seeing things you really want to see. But on all the tours I went on, 98% of the time, I found people to do things with. I had a great time on each tour that I could not wait to go again. I very much think you will meet people to do things with on the tours, that is why they are going, they want to see and do the same things you want to do! I have met many very nice people and kept in contact with several people. I met one woman on a tour and went on two more tours with her. I met two very nice women on my France tour and you would have thought the three of us went together! I went on the Istanbul tour and the group stayed together a lot and there were several single women on the tour and we spent most of our free time together. This also happened on my Florence and London tours where the group stayed together a lot! On other tours the group was nice, but I spent my free time alone and made the best of it. But I don't regret going! Go and have a great time and I know you will! I have been on tours where I spend time with married couples and had a great time! You will make friends! Happy Travels, Ann

Posted by
32320 posts

Angela,

I've travelled solo on seven RS tours so far (will be taking another one this year) and all have been fantastic. I'm sure you'll also have a great time. The Guide will be able to provide lots of information on touring in each city you visit, but you'll have to "play it by ear" in terms of activities with others from your group during the tour.

Posted by
29 posts

Thank you again to everyone who responded. Your kind words have helped alleviate some of my apprehension and I am very grateful. I will be sure to post a full trip report upon my return. Thanks!