Please sign in to post.

Solo travel

What is a good place to visit as a solo (female) traveler? Inexpensive, easy to navigate, easy to communicate when you only speak English (I have traveled to Germany, Poland, Austria and other places where English is not the "native" language). I'm looking for a trip in early October 2019. Thank you!!

Posted by
7049 posts

Literally any country that you're interested in (I don't think the "solo" or "female" characteristics matter much in Europe, or differentiate one place from another - all are open to all kinds of travelers and are fairly easy to get around in due to solid public transport options). Central and Eastern European countries are less expensive, and most (if not nearly all) young people speak some to good English. You can always learn a few pleasantries in whatever language to get by. I wouldn't let that be an impediment either. The first country I traveled solo in during my 20s was Italy.

Posted by
1206 posts

I've traveled solo (woman) to Italy several times in the last few years. I have probably 30 words and phrases in Italian in my lexicon (not including foods!). I find that most of the people I meet are incredibly generous in their patience with my fumbling language, and many (especially younger people, and almost everyone in hotels, shops and restaurants) responds with some fairly good English. The Italian trains now make all announcements in both Italian and English. Lots of museums have signage in both Italian and English. I feel quite safe; public transportation is easy and reliable. The food, art, architecture and scenery are magnificent beyond belief. Although the cities aren't necessarily "inexpensive," if you're willing to stay in simple lodgings, and eat pizza and pasta frequently (such a sacrifice!) and spend time in smaller towns and villages, it can be "inexpensive" especially compared to much of northern Europe. And there are wonderful guide books (!) that accurately describe the logistics of how to get from place to place. So: Italy!

Posted by
3049 posts

It's less "which country" and more of "where in what country" that would be the issue here. English will be spoken easily in capitals everywhere and in more touristed places.

For inexpensive and easy to navigate, I'd say Budpest or Athens. Both are cheap, English is widely spoken, and there's a lot to do.

Posted by
5678 posts

I've traveled to Scotland solo so very many times. I find that everyone is friendly and I have never felt uneasy or unsafe. But as others have said you really shouldn't limit yourself. I've also traveled in the Netherlands, Germany, France, Austria, Greece, England and Belgium on my own. One suggestion I would have for any solo traveler is to think about signing up for day trips or other tours. They give you a chance to meet other people who are at the very least interested in some of the same things that interest you.

Posted by
1323 posts

How about anyplace in England outside of London? There are plenty of inexpensive chain hotels that are perfectly suitable. In particular, I’d suggest some of the industrial revolution cities such as Manchester or Newcastle, and Liverpool.

Ibis, Premier Inn, and Z Hotel are some inexpensive choices, Jury Inn would be a step up. There are also hostels if you’re into those.

Posted by
1321 posts

Ireland

It's been a few years so I cannot guarantee "Inexpensive", but it is "easy to navigate" and "easy to communicate".

Posted by
18 posts

Some great ideas for me to explore. Thank you all. I guess I am just a little nervous about my first trip abroad alone. I've always travelled with a friend. Thank you again...

Posted by
3993 posts

Amsterdam, Berlin, Vienna, Athens, & Munich come to mind.

Some great ideas for me to explore. Thank you all. I guess I am just a
little nervous about my first trip abroad alone. I've always travelled
with a friend. Thank you again...

I understand being nervous but the rewards you'll enjoy going on this trip on your own will far surpass anything you could have imagined. I love traveling on my own. I have been doing so since my early 20s and I'm now 49. :-)

Posted by
8345 posts

I did my very first "solo trip" at the end of March. I'd always traveled with someone else for any trip over a few days. Taking the step for the first solo trip did take a little courage. I wasn't sure if I would like it very much since I am a very social person. I chose a place that I knew I would feel comfortable for my first trip.

I went to London and had a blast. It worked well for me because there were so many choices of things to do, it was easy to navigate, and transportation options are so good. I never felt like I didn't know how to spend my time or didn't have something interesting to do. I went to a West End Show (Come From Away) one night and had so much fun. I took the train to Bletchley Park and to Portsmouth for some interesting day trips. This was my second trip to London and I still have several places that I didn't get to yet.

I stayed at the Premier Inn, Waterloo, and the price was quite reasonable with advance purchase prices.

I'm glad you are venturing out. I know you will have a good trip too.