Please sign in to post.

Solo travel

I am finally going back to Europe tomorrow, 8/17, for the first time since late 2019. I'm going to Italy (Siena, Florence, fly in & out of Rome). The friend who was going to travel with me had to cancel so I've decided to still go by myself. I'm an almost 65 year old woman and I've been to Europe numerous times, as well as Israel, Japan, Canada, Mexico, & Australia but never as a solo traveler.

Besides the obvious advice of watching my surroundings, especially at night, are there other tips that you might have that you would use for a solo trip vs. a non-solo trip? I have left the flight info (I travel standby so this isn't set in stone), the hotel info, and my planned itinerary with my husband. We also use Google Map location sharing, so he will be able to see where I am. I've printed out my medical info (prescription list with generic and brand names, allergy info, surgical history) and emergency contact info that I'll carry with me. I'm bringing a whistle and a mini-flashlight that I'll carry with me (I was once grabbed from behind by a man while traveling so I feel better with a whistle on me, just in case). I am going carry-on only with an Osprey Ozone wheeled carry-on & a small backpack, so shouldn't have any issues with getting on trains or going to the hotels.

Thanks!

Posted by
8340 posts

One piece of advice is that if you are a social traveler (travel seems more fun when sharing the experience) then you can provide some of those opportunities by signing up for strategic day tours, walking tours, or cooking classes.

I always make sure to send a text or an email a few times a day to my children. It just makes them feel better and I get to "share" my experience that way.

I am sure you will do great and have a wonderful time.

Posted by
8423 posts

Some solo travelers have concerns about eating in restaurants alone. If that's a concern for you, please dont be self-conscious about it. Its not an issue for anyone there.

I traveled solo and independently when I was young, and it always felt good to run into fellow Americans and speak English comfortably. Joining a cooking class or ashort tour is a good way to meet fellow travelers just to share some time.

Posted by
8645 posts

Couple of thoughts from a solo traveler about your age.

First off, bravo!!!

Secondly, use the TripIt app.

Make certain whatever debit and/or credit cards you are taking are tap cards.

Take a small coin purse.

Take some twist ties, couple of safety pins, and a scarf.

If possible get a door stop.

Take a pack of xtra batteries for your flashlight.

If you have an iPhone with Notes make a list of prescriptions and dosage.

Bon Voyage!!!

Posted by
6487 posts

In case you haven't seen them, here and here are our host's tips for solo travel. I'm sure you'll be fine, as an experienced independent traveler who packs light. I agree with the suggestion to take some walking tours or guided day trips if you want some temporary English-speaking company. While there are tradeoffs, it can be liberating not to have to think about another person's needs or priorities while making the most of your limited travel time.

Posted by
3099 posts

I travel solo about 75% of the time, and one thing I do, especially if I'm in a vacation rental, is leave a note on the table in the apartment before I leave to go out each day.
On it is my itinerary for the day, and what time I should return.
Kind of like when hikers leave a note on their car about where they are going, before they hit the trail.
Sounds paranoid, but it's just an extra layer in case you end up in hospital inadvertently or can't communicate.
It might help finding a person if they don't return.

Always use an ATM INSIDE a bank or at least in the glassed in foyer, never out on the street.
Wear your money belt with your cards and passport inside, at all times.
If you put them in a ziploc bag first, they won't get damp and sweaty.
Wear it in the small /curve of your back and it's very comfortable.
Just carry enough cash for the day in your daybag.

Siena, Florence and Rome are quite safe!
Have a wonderful time, and don't forget to come back and tell us how it all went!

Posted by
92 posts

While I agree that there’s nothing wrong with dining solo, a lot of times I’ve been out and about all day and am just tired by dinner time! I’ve had good luck with using food delivery services in Europe (Ubereats, Glovo, etc) It’s usually easy to figure out which ones are popular in a certain city because the delivery folks are all over town! The prices are pretty reasonable and I haven’t had any problems with it at hotels. I’ve even had front desk people offer me silverware when they saw me bringing in a delivery bag. Just an option to keep in mind for busy days!

Posted by
6274 posts

I've been traveling solo to Europe for over 25 years and the best advice I can offer is to embrace your solitary travels. Sure, it's fun to have dinner with others and sometimes it can be a bit lonely, but overall the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.

I would encourage you to talk to people as much as possible. If you are dining out, strike up a conversation with the couple or group next to you. I've had some wonderful conversations in restaurants. I've met other people standing in line; for example, when I was waiting to see the pope in Rome, I made a quick friendship with the couple from Canada. We wound up sitting together and the young woman and I both screamed hysterically when the pope came by and touched our hands. :) I spent 3 days traveling around Lake Como with a woman I met on the train heading there (we met because we each noticed the other was carrying a RS travel guidebook).

Enjoy the peace and quiet of being alone. Get up early and revel in the joys of birds chirping and sunrises without any chatter to distract you. Dine outside when you can and watch the people or scenery. Talk to small children. I once was at the Coliseum in Rome and said hello to a small group of boys. Next thing I knew, there were 9-10 of them surrounding me, all asking questions about where I was from and why I was in Italy.

You will appreciate that most pickpockets will leave you alone, because you're not distracted by other companions (but of course, still take precautions). You will find it easier to get tickets to a crowded venue or a seat at a busy restaurant. And you don't have to waste time figuring out an itinerary that you and a companion will like, since you can do whatever you want. Enjoy the flexibility and the chance to be spontaneous. And have a wonderful and safe trip!

Posted by
12172 posts

The best thing about traveling solo is you don't have to please anyone but yourself. No negotiations about when/where to eat, what type of lodging, what sights to see, how much activity/walking, what time to get up/go to bed, how long to stay? You get to decide all of those for yourself. If you choose a guided tour, however, you'll lose the best thing about being a solo traveler because all those decisions are made for you.

I love traveling solo but I also enjoy traveling with friends or family. I'm good with planning transportation, sights and meals that please a group - as long as they don't expect me to be the guide who caters to all their wants with no regard for my own.

Posted by
755 posts

Lots of helpful tips here for the solo traveler. Another one (if you are feeling lonely) is to look for people with the unmistakable blue and yellow guidebooks we all know and love. Once on my own in France an American couple spotted me checking mine and waved their identical guidebook at me. We chatted and walked around together for a bit and that was nice to compare notes.

Posted by
7249 posts

It is exhilarating to travel solo! I hope you will have a fantastic time!

You will probably notice more opportunities for conversations with people - other travelers & locals since you are not occupied talking to your travel partner.

If you have a Facebook account, my friends like me to post a few photos each day with some info of interest or a humorous incident as a “virtual travel” with me. It does make it seem like a way to have a few companions throughout the trip.

I always wear my passport, ATM cards, credit card and large Euros in my money belt since there isn’t such an easy back-up plan when traveling solo.

Enjoy deciding how long or short you feel like spending time in a museum or church, and I have definitely had gelato and a salad for dinner a few times, too! ; )

Posted by
14500 posts

"It is exhilarating to travel solo !" How true. You are a veteran, experienced traveler to Europe. If European women can travel solo, so can you. Nothing keeping you from doing that. Before I got married, my trips (7) were always solo, starting from the very first in 1971, never went over and stuck together with friends or relatives, until I was going with the Mrs.

Posted by
755 posts

For those thinking about traveling solo but don’t feel quite ready to actually do it, try baby steps. Fly to another country and then meet up with your traveling partner at a destination other than where your flight landed, so you can practice navigating by yourself. Or, extend your stay after your traveling partner has to go home and explore on your own. I did both of these things and then I was ready to go solo all the way. And it’s great!

Posted by
8340 posts

You should be in Italy now. Have a great trip and do come back (when you have time) and let us know how this first solo experience went for you.

Posted by
419 posts

I'm in Siena now and am finding solo travel is fine. I still prefer going with family or friends, but am enjoying my trip. It is nice to be able to go where I want when I want.

I arrived here last night, thirty hours after I left my home in Tucson, Arizona. After my flight arrived in Rome from DFW, I had about four hours before my train left from Rome Termini. I waited around in a quiet area near baggage claim (even though I didn't check a bag) because I figured I'd rather chill out there for a while rather than at Termini. Another lady sat down while waiting for her nephew to arrive. We started chatting and had a lovely conversation for about half an hour.

I decided to take the Leonardo Express to Termini since it should only take half an hour to get there. About seven or eight minutes, the train stopped as apparently there was a fire somewhere near the tracks. Long story short, we got to Termini about 90 minutes late and I missed my train. I got my ticket situation sorted and arrived in Siena in the evening. It was raining, I was exhausted, and decided to take a taxi to the hotel. After a hot shower and a good night's sleep, I was out and about sightseeing by 7:30 a.m.

Tomorrow I head to Florence for five nights. I've been there before for a short visit, so plan to take at least one day trip and explore Florence more as well.

Looks like it has stopped raining so I'm going to head out again and enjoy Siena.