Please sign in to post.

Solo Single Woman Going On the April 19/21 Day Tour Of Europe 2015...Anyone Else Going ??

Hi My name is Sheila, I am a 47 year old woman traveling solo on this trip leaving April 19.
I have singed up to share a room with another single solo woman. I am wanting to connect or talk with people on this group before leaving. I live in Traverse City Michigan..I work as a hospice nurse, also have a teaching degree. I grew up in Ireland one of 8 kids on a dairy farm. I lived in London for 4 years as a student nurse before moving to the US in 1990. I travel home to Ireland every year to visit family.. I have seen very little of Europe and I am excited about this trip, but just worried that I will end up mostly with couples.

Her is my email or you can friend me on face [email protected]....

Posted by
2252 posts

Even though I am not going on this particular tour, I have traveled as a single on several other Rick Steves tours. I have always felt most welcome and included by couples as well as other singles. Please try not to worry.

Posted by
177 posts

Hello Sheila my husband and I are on that same tour. This is my first trip to Europe and my husband was stationed in Germany in the 70's but did not see to much. There are three other couples on this forum on the tour. It looks like the tour is full so hopefully there will be other single people. Are you planning on going a little earlier before the tour? We will be going a couple days earlier and staying some extra after. We are from Tallahassee, Florida and retired. This is our first big trip so cannot wait for it to start.

Posted by
32320 posts

Sheila,

Regardless of the mix of singles and couples on the tour, I think this will be one of the best and most memorable travel experiences you've ever had. I've travelled solo on eight RS tours, and had a wonderful time on all of them. There's a good mix of group time and free time, and if desired you'll be able to venture off on your own at times.

Be sure you have lots of memory cards and spare batteries for your camera!

Posted by
14544 posts

Sheila, I will add my raves to going on RS tours as a solo. I did do the 21 day tour last August and had a wonderful time. I paid the single supplement as did the other solo person. There were also 4 other single women, both each 2 friends traveling together if that makes sense. I mixed with them, I mixed with the couples, I mixed with groups of people, I did stuff on my own. I think about this tour Every. Single. Day. REally. Every day something reminds me of how much fun I had.

I recommend you do every option that your guide offers you, including wine tasting, gondola ride in Venice, optional stuff in Switzerland, ours offered a couple of extra optional dinners. Really it is all wonderful!

I did a Trip Report last fall if you are interested in reading it. https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/tours/21-day-best-of-europe-8-26-14

I am also so excited that about 10 of us are going to the RS reunion next week and I am just sorry everyone can't come!

editing to add: You might want to look at this thread of others on your tour date. I have to hold myself back from posting on it and if I had the money I would be going again!

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/tours/who-s-booked-on-the-first-rs-boe-tour-19-apr-9-may

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks so much for your kind response to my posting. `

I do not know who I will be sharing with, or if there will even be another single woman on this trip, but knowing that its going to be OK and even with only couples going, I will be happy and fine.

Sheila..

Posted by
14544 posts

You may end up with a single room. The last RS trip I was on, Village Italy, another woman and I were the only solos on the tour. I had paid a single supplement, she had not. Since there was not another solo on the trip, she got her own room. She actually insisted on taking me to dinner as because I had paid, she wound up having a single room as well!

I expect you can call the RS office and ask if there are any others traveling solo who have not paid the supplement especially since that tour date has sold out. Someone posted recently that that is what they do, then if there is another person she will go ahead and pay the single supplement for a private room.

editing to add: I found that on the 21 day tour most of the couples were really open to having others along with them.