Please sign in to post.

socks

I have read and have seen posted lots of advice on quick drying shirts, blouses, and slacks. But, what about socks? Are there socks that are comfortable AND wash/dry quickly? Any suggestions?

Posted by
44 posts

This is from onebag.com, one of the great sources for "light packing" advice:

"Despite the fact that it feels nice and is a natural fibre, cotton is just about the worst sock fabric available. Walking experts overwhelmingly recommend socks made of synthetic yarns (CoolMax, Capilene, PolarTec, and other acrylics are but a few) to keep your feet comfortable and dry. Blends that add wool or alpaca are also acceptable, especially in cooler weather; they don't wear as well, though. The main function of socks is to "wick" (draw) moisture away from the skin. Cotton, unfortunately, absorbs moisture, leaving your feet moist and more susceptible to blisters, fungal infection, and odour. It is also notoriously slow to dry, which can interfere with your laundry plans. And finally, pay attention to fit, which is more important than you may realize: steer clear of tube socks, one-size-fits-all types (they don't), stretch socks (too tight), and those with prominent toe seams."

Posted by
44 posts

And, my personal experience says that anything made of Coolmax or Capilene will work wonderfully.

best of luck!!!

Posted by
135 posts

Hey, Marilyn, Roy is right re no cotton socks. Last April-May in Paris it was hot and I wore comfortable sandals without socks. Squeezed them into my bag at the last minute and was really glad. In rainy and very cool Germany and for travel in May and June I wore mocassins and knee-highs. I did bring socks for cold feet in bed....

Posted by
23342 posts

I wear medium weight wool socks year around and especially when traveling in Europe. Works very well for me.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you for the responses about the socks. One more question,
Where do you get these socks?
Where do you buy Coolmax socks? Are they a certain brand name?
Thank you!

Posted by
12172 posts

I look for low cotton content, color that matches with everything and sturdy/cushiony enough to stand up to a lot of walking. I bought three pairs of Gold Toe crew socks that are very cushiony and have no cotton. I've hand washed them and they dry well overnight and I've tested them for walking and they did great. They're black so I can wear them with any of my pants or jeans. I don't usually wear shorts unless I'm at a pool or beach so don't need socks.

Posted by
33 posts

I hate to say this, but my favorite socks are from WalMart. Nice plastic content, just right to keep the sweat away.

I know, I know . . . . . . sigh

Posted by
1170 posts

Someone had mentioned Worlds Sofest socks. You can find them online. I haven't bought any to try, so can't give my 2 euros worth.

Here is the description:
Cushioned top, designed to stay up without binding.

New reinforced heel & toe for increased durability in high stress areas.

Full cushioned foot provides all day comfort.

Flat knit toe seam for reduced rubbing and irritation.
Made in the USA

Fibers: 75% Ultra-Soft Acrylic, 23% Nylon, 1% Lycra®, 1% Polyester

Posted by
65 posts

I like Fox River socks. They're wonderfully cushioned and have a flat seam and a nice rounded toe that doesn't scrunch my toes; I buy their socks specifically designed to fit women, and they fit my feet perfectly without any wrinkles. Their socks are available in a variety of fibers, including the ones that wick moisture and dry overnight after washing out by hand. Their web site has a very informative page on sock technology and what to look for in socks. Read it--you'll learns lots!

http://www.foxsox.com/SockTechnology/index.aspx