Please sign in to post.

So much to see, so little time!

We are a family of 4, kids will be 14 and 10 when we travel. We have a Mediterranean cruise booked from Barcelona to Rome in early June 2019. We are planning on a day or so beforehand in Barcelona and 2 days after in Rome.

So, assuming we have about 11 days after Rome, where to next? (Since I’ve thrown out my Plan A and my Plan B, I’m hoping you can help with Plan C!)

Making family memories is important, as well as showing the kids different cultures and ways of life, while hitting some highlights, as well as the roads less traveled.

We have friends in Germany near Nuremburg that we’d like to see for a couple days if we can make it work.

Hubby traveled all over Europe growing up, I’ve only been to Italy, kids are seasoned travelers, but never been to Europe.

Thank you!

Posted by
1056 posts

It would be helpful to know your departure city for your return flight. If you have to be in Rome for your flight, heading to Germany for your extra days and then returning to Rome to fly home would be very time consuming. It’s a long way from Rome to Nürnberg.

Posted by
7355 posts

Unless you’re definitely heading to see your friends in Germany (passing thru Switzerland/Austria in the process?), maybe catch a flight to Sicily? Or head farther north and east into Italy: Florence, Milan, Venice?

Posted by
27104 posts

Are you wedded to the idea of having just an extra "day or so" in Barcelona before the cruise? Barcelona has tons to see, and a short trip there is very difficult because so many of the top sights require pre-purchased tickets to avoid long lines. It's quite a challenge to know how far apart to book those sight visits, and you can end up with little bits of useless time between them, or not enough time to see them as you'd like. I'd prefer to go to Barcelona at least five days early. The arrival day will be pretty useless, so that would give you four full days to see a bunch of things and get over the jetlag.

There are nearly infinite possibilities between Rome and Nuremberg. It's hard to go wrong unless you decide to do something like visit a string of large cities and change hotels every night. That would be a mistake.

Since you'll be coming off a cruise, perhaps time in the Italian lake district might not be your top priority, but a few days in the Dolomites, where there are lovely easy walks as well as more challenging hikes, could be a great option for a family like yours. If you stay at altitude in a place like Ortisei, you won't have to worry about extreme heat (which is possible in Italy during June). You do not need a car for a short trip to the Dolomites; the bus and lift transportation beyond Bolzano is very good. Bolzano itself is right on the train route between Rome/Bologna/Verona and Munich/Nuremberg. The museum housing the Iceman is in Bolzano, which also has a very pretty historic district that looks quite a lot like Austria. Bolzano can be hot in the summer, and many of its hotels are not air conditioned, so I would stay up in the mountains rather than down in that valley.

Pick up a comprehensive guide book to Italy from your local library and dip into the chapters covering areas between Rome and the Swiss/Austrian borders. See what sounds appealing to you. Think about whether you want to focus on larger, more popular destinations (Florence and Venice) or smaller/less touristy spots. Everyone here who has been to Italy has his or her own favorites.

Alternatively, you could book a flight from Rome to somewhere in Germany and spend all your post-cruise time in that country. This would be most affordable if you are traveling very light, because the budget airlines (whose fares can be extremely low if you buy tickets very early) tend to have confiscatory baggage fees and very low weight limits for cabin baggage. You should pack light anyway, of course, because dealing with heavy bags would not be fun when traveling by train, either.

Posted by
5 posts

I should probably add that we’re flying from Florida into Barcelona and then home from wherever we end up. Flights home from Rome are outrageously expensive, which is why we decided to move our “free time” after the cruise rather than before. Our cruise stops in Cannes, Genoa, Livorno, Naples, and ends in Rome, so we’ll be seeing Milan, Florence, Pisa, Pompeii...

Our son plays soccer, so a visit to Camp Nou in Barcelona is a must. Perhaps we can figure out a visit to Juventus Center near Turin and the Lamborghini factory in Bologna to satisfy him. My daughter is quite the foodie for her age and would love to do a family cooking class or something involving food.

We are not interested in beaches, etc. We find historical sites interesting, castles, hiking, I like WWII history, meeting locals, relaxing! We’re not really museum people, other than seeing a specific work here and there.

I know we won’t be able to “do it all,” but a nice couple days here and there is what we’re looking for. At least right now it is... that could all change after our family meeting tonight! LOL

Posted by
17908 posts

From Rome there are cheap non-stop flights (takes about an hour) to Podgorica.

1 Arrive Podgorica and immediately go to Budva (or spend the night. not a very impressive town but well connected through Rome)
2 Budva
https://d2bgjx2gb489de.cloudfront.net/gbb-blogs/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/08201413/Budva-1-870x400.jpg
3 Budva to Stari Bar
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdIjlEQLIEPiUrwv4eVeEdloAq3VCmiPdBXLAAqvc5drkKx27u
to Ulcinj.
https://d2bgjx2gb489de.cloudfront.net/gbb-blogs/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Ulcinj-870x400.jpg
Stari Bar is a fascinating ghost town, oldest tree in Europe near by. Great main drag with shops and food. Ulcinj is Muslim Montenegro and has a feel that is unique. Great old town on the hill.
4 Ulcinj to Ostrog Monastery
https://lpviator.imgix.net/graphicslib/thumbs674x446/45486/SITours/ostrog-monastery-niagara-waterfalls-tour-from-podgorica-in-podgorica-626027.jpg
to Zabljak and the Tara Canyon.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLk50ufju521mXmVconEs72A_8cS1W6ZChxrPgmy_mFWGEsckr
Ostrog is a fascinating monastery built into a cliff,, then the Tara Canyon has great mountain scenery, zip line over the second deepest canyon in the world. Great fly fishing area.
5. Zabljak area
https://www.mountainphotography.com/images/xl/20150723-Grebaje-Valley.jpg
6. Zabljak to Perast.
https://lonelyplanetimages.imgix.net/mastheads/GettyImages-471209286_super%20.jpg?sharp=10&vib=20&w=1200
Perast is the perfect setting to relax in the evening. See the two islands during the day.
7. Perast to Dubrovnik
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgpRQyVJkuj3i8RiZK5jMrFMZNrO2qa2QOwO7VFOjnxo2m_A583w

Route: https://goo.gl/maps/kQ7Z32s53Uz

Yes, i skipped the town of Kotor above. I've seen it. Not too terribly impressed after seeing Dubrovnik.

On our couple of trips to Montenegro we hired a guide (about 90 euro a day) and a Audi A6 with driver (about 70 euro a day on the days we used him

I have spent a bit of time in Montenegro over two trips and I will be back asap. Wonderful country.

Posted by
8141 posts

Ask the kids where they'd really like to visit. There are so many great places to see.

Posted by
5697 posts

And please tell us that you are NOT planning to buy two separate one-way flights rather than an open-jaw (unless, of course, you will be using carriers like Norwegian which have cheap one-ways)

Posted by
5 posts

Some of our itinerary is starting to take shape... but, am I being too unrealistic with the timeline?
2 days Rome (after cruise)
1 day Bologna (Lamborghini experience)
1 day Innsbruck (Neuschwanstein & Ehrenberg)
2 days Salzburg (Mozart & Sound of Music)
3 days Munich (have friends meet us there possibly)
Then to London for 5 days or Paris for 2 & London for 3...
Fly home from London

Thank you!!

Posted by
7661 posts

From Rome take the train to Florence. 4 days there, day trip to Siena.
From Florence take the train to Venice. 3 days there.
From Venice take the train to Munich, 4 days there (consider a day trip to Salzburg, Austria). If time do the Romantic Road that includes Rothenburg on the Tauber.

Posted by
27104 posts

I don't think you're accounting adequately for travel time.

Rome-Bologna is 2 hr. on the train. (Car would take 4 hr. per ViaMichelin, with no stops, getting lost, looking for parking, etc.) The car sight(s) are not in Bologna, right? So you need to either go to your Bologna hotel to drop off your luggage and return to the train station or find a place to store your bags at or near the station. Then you must get a train to the appropriate city for the car museum(?). Then you must get to the museum, which is likely not particularly near the train station. Then after seeing the museum, you go back to the local trains station, return to Bologna by train, pick up your luggage if you stored it near the station and go to your hotel. At some point along the way you will need to have eaten lunch. You may or may not be able to do that in one day, depending on the location of the car spot, when it closes and how much time you want to spend there. You certainly won't have a lot of time to see Bologna.

Bologna to Innsbruck is at least 5-1/2 hours on the train. VM says about 4 hr. by car (no stops, etc.), but I am doubtful about that. In addition, it would be pretty crazy to take kids along that route (by car or by train) without stopping in Bolzano to see the museum housing the Iceman. Then from Innsbruck you need 1-1/2 by car or longer via public transportation to reach Neuschwanstein. I skipped Ehrenberg in my calculations because there are so many of them and I couldn't identify the correct one. So you see the castle and then you have another 1-1/2 hours to get back to Innsbruck. Not a lot of time to enjoy Innsbruck,

From Innsbruck to Salzburg is 2 hr. 15 min. by car (no stopping, etc.) or 1 hr. 45 min. by train.

From Salzburg to Munich is 1-1/2 hr. by car (no stopping) or 1-3/4 hr. by train.

I think many people visit both Neuschwanstein and Salzburg on (separate) day-trips from Munich, which would at least avoid a bunch of hotel changes.

I think you'll constantly be looking at your watches and worrying about getting to the next stop.

Posted by
3049 posts

I like Innsbruck but it is not a good base to see Neuschwanstein.

Since you have friends in Nuremberg, have you considered staying there as a base and using it for day trips to places like Bamberg, Munich, Rothenberg ob der Tauber and other Romantic Road cities? There are castles all over Germany and excellent hiking too. From Nuremberg the ancient little village of Papenheim has a great authentic castle ruin looking over it that you can hike before doing a family canoe trip. The area around Nuremberg (Franconia) is littered with beautiful, off the beaten path sites and I would recommend exploring that area in detail as opposed to traveling long distances to hit the big tourist traps.