Please sign in to post.

Slovenia & Croatia - Itinerary

I will be spenidng 12 days in Slovenia and Croatia this August. Please give suggestions as to how I should distribute my time. I'm mainly into exploring the outdoors. Note that I am a university student travelling on my own, so I am trying to keep the prices low and use public transportation. Thanks!

Here is my planned itinerary as of now

Slovenia
Ljubljana + day trips - 3 days
Bled / Triglav national park - 2 days

Croatia
Plitvice Lakes national park - 2 days
Vis Island - 2 days
Dubrovnik + day trips - 3 days

Here are a few other places I would like to see but I'm not sure if I will have time. I don't want to be too rushed as I will have already been travelling for 1.5 months.
Bovec, Slovenia
Premuzic Trail, Croatia
Krka national park, Croatia
Mostar, Bosnia
Sarjevo, Bosnia

Thanks for your help :)
Aaron

Posted by
334 posts

Have you reviewed the bus and ferry schedules for the time you will be there? My only concern is that places like Plitvice and Vis have fewer connections and it might be hard to bounce quickly between locations. Croatia is beautiful -- you'll love it.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks Mike. It turns out there were a few buses and ferries that only run once a day so it was good I figured them out in advance.

Posted by
32206 posts

Your proposed Itinerary seems feasible, but I was also going to mention the aspect of transportation. One point to keep in mind is that with transportation times, you'll have less time in each place than you might think. For example, you'll likely only have about 1.5 days in Plitvice Lakes National Park. If you were planning to hike any of the trails through the park, you may not have enough time. If possible, a bit of extra time there might be worthwhile as if the weather is wet, hiking will be a miserable experience.

I was in that area last September, and really enjoyed my visit to Mostar. If you're able to get there, I'd certainly recommend it. If possible, take a short tour with one of the local guides listed in the RS guidebook. You'll learn a lot about the recent history in the '90s war.

Another place that I really liked was Korcula. I'd really like to get back there and spend some more time.